Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Whooping Cough and Guinea Pigs.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My sister has recently been diagnosed with whooping cough. I know that whooping cough is caused by the bacillus Bordetella Pertussis, which is linked to kennel cough. Bordetella bronchisetica (The most common cause of Upper Respiratory Infections in cavies) is closely related to Bortetella Pertussis. Bottom line, is Bordetella Pertussis species specific? Does anyone know of any reports of pigs getting whooping cough? My sister is being kept clear from the pigs just in-case.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
There are no studies that can definitely say if guinea pigs can catch whooping cough from humans or not. Usually, bacteria are species specific. For example, humans don't get kennel cough and dogs don't get whooping cough. Studies in which guinea pigs have been infected with human bacteria usually require that the organism is placed directly in the respiratory system of the GP's. I found a link from, where else, this same site:https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56143
i would suggest that you keep your sister away from the piggies just to be 100% sure as usually doesn't mean never.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.