Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Which Pellet Should I Use?

PBPaws

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm going to be adopting a guinea pig in a few days and I'm looking for a new food to transfer him to since his has too much ground corn and added dyes. What pellet brand would y'all recommend for an approximately 1 year old guinea pig? I would prefer to have to purchase it in a store, but if the only decent pellets are inline I would order them too. Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the best place a guinea pig parent (or future parent) can find for all things cavy! I've been using Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig Food for almost 7 years, they are highly recommended. There are a couple of other brands that I believe are available in the U.S. that others can recommend.

I believe the only decent pellet you can purchase in a store is the Oxbow brand, but I've never used it, so I'm sure someone else on here can be more specific about it and where it can be purchased.

I've used both KMS pellets and Small Pet Select and my pigs like both. KMS tends to have cheaper prices, but much higher shipping costs while SPS may have a slightly higher price, but free shipping I think over a certain amount. But I purchase the pellets when I purchase hay. As for the hay, I purchase that from SPS and my pigs love love love it and their shipping is super super fast. I've order twice from them and my boxes are on my porch in two days. The last time I ordered from them, my box shipped 10 minutes after I ordered it and I got it two days later. Awesome service IMO!!

Others will have different opinions .....

I use KMS Hayloft pellets. I think my pigs would revolt if I fed them anything else. They're by far the freshest pellets on the market. The mill date is on the package, and the last two I've gotten have been less than two weeks old. Oxbow and KMS (even with the shipping) are about the same price in my area.

I use SPS hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.