Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Which Oxbow?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm upset kms hayloft timothy pellets is out of stock everywhere. I hope it's not discontinued. Bella is 2. Oxbow has a few to choose from. She loves kms. Which oxbow is closely like it? TIA!

Artista

Cavy Slave
I use the Oxbow Essentials Adult Pellets. I tried the Garden Select and my pigs would not eat it. I also would not use the Organic variety. The calcium content is higher than the Essentials line. What I like about the Oxbow is that the pellets are small. They are more like the KMS pellets were when Linda still had the company. When the new owners took over it seemed the pellets got larger and my pigs just didn't like them.

I noticed some pellets are larger in kms. I break those into smaller pieces. I didn't realize it's different owners now. Linda would respond fast.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Of course now that I ordered oxbow yesterday kms is back in stock today. At least if she hates oxbow, kms is back in stock.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Just saw a store close to me has oxbow essentials for 12.99 for 5lbs. Shoot me now. With shipping chewy is almost $20.

The only thing is kms makes pellets in small batches so it's fresh, and so has more nutrition than one from a store shelf. Seems kms has raised prices. It's 13.99 for 2 lbs. 19.99 for 5 lbs. I wonder if fresh is better to get than oxbow that who knows how long it's been on the shelf..

Artista

Cavy Slave
So I just ordered kms 5 lbs, 19.95. It wasn't until I got to shipping that shipping is free, 3 to 7 day delivery. Whew. Wish that was stated.

Artista

Cavy Slave
@Artista. After you get your new order of KMS pellets can you let me know how well they are accepted by your pigs. I would like my pigs to go back to them. The last two bags I got from KMS just weren't the same and my pigs just hated them.

Like you said, I appreciate the fact that the pellets are made in smaller batches and may be fresher than store bought pellets. When I purchased my last bag of KMS I mixed them with the Oxbow and my pigs just ate the Oxbow and left the KMS.

The price of $12.99 for Oxbow is great. I buy mine from a local store and pay $17.00 for a 5# bag.

I got the 2 lb bag july 18 when they were out of the 5lb for 13.95 including shipping. She begs for more than the 2 TBSP a day she gets. Devours it like she does her favorite veggie, radicchio. I'll let you know about this batch.

I know with human foods, fresher is more nutritious and tastes better which is why I put a stop shipment on oxbow from chewy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
@Artista. After you get your new order of KMS pellets can you let me know how well they are accepted by Bella. I would like my pigs to go back to them. The last two bags I got from KMS just weren't the same and my pigs just hated them.

Like you said, I appreciate the fact that the pellets are made in smaller batches and may be fresher than store bought pellets. When I purchased my last bag of KMS I mixed them with the Oxbow and my pigs just ate the Oxbow and left the KMS.

The price of $12.99 for Oxbow is great. I buy mine from a local store and pay $17.00 for a 5# bag.

She likes them but not gobbling like before. They say no change in formula. What I find with her is 1 day she loves something, next no. Green peppers were no way for at least 2 mos. Other colors were a problem too. I now keep oasis vita c drops in my fridge. She'll probably change to gobbling. I'd get the 2lb bag and see. With my 1 girl I just get 5 lbs at a time. Won't let it get too low again before ordering more. I like the fresh angle so don't buy 10 or 25lbs at a time.

Artista

Cavy Slave
@Artista. Thank you so much for the review of KMS pellets. I will buy a small bag and see how well my pigs like them. I'm a little disappointed with how the new owners are running the KMS website. I ordered a new bag of bluegrass hay the other day and haven't heard a word from them regarding when I can expect delivery. Since they are just east of the mountains I'm surprised at how long it is taking the hay to arrive on the other side of the mountains. I always appreciated how well Linda ran the business. Oh well, I guess things change with new ownership.

Once again, let me say how happy I am that Bella is feeling so much better. She's such a sweet little girl and I know she means the world to you.

No prob. I signed up for the newsletter. The owner said best way to reach them is text. I got the pellets in good time. I'm in SF Ca. Maybe they are experiencing new owner growth. Who knows. I just figure no more waiting till it's almost gone again. Delay from out of stock or shipping happens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.