Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Which is the better floorplan?

kemmm

Cavy Slave
I currently house two boars in a 2x6 with 2x2 loft. Well I can't see how that is enough room for the two of them (they bicker so much), so of course I ordered another one to combine with their current one.

These paint drawings are not to scale by any means. It's just to give an idea of what I'm picturing.

My original plan was to make a 4x6 with 4x2 loft.
Plan 1.jpg

Then, the more I thought about it, I figured I could do a 4x6 with a 2x6 loft.
Plan 1.jpg

My original plan would be the easiest thing to do, as it would just be putting the two cages side by side without the middle walls. But with some finagling on my end, I could give them a bit more space with the second plan.

This is my project while my boyfriend is away. I want to take my time with it and do it right. So I want to know what you think obstacles may be or upsides to each plan. Like for example, a lot of people say a 4x2 loft is hard to clean under. Or maybe the ramps come too close to the walls with the 2x6 loft.
Or maybe there's not even that big of a difference between them? Either way, I'd really love some input before I get started this weekend!

Thoughts?

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I feel it would be really hard to clean under the 2×6, much harder than under a 2×4

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
I was actually thinking the opposite...I feel like the way the cage will most likely be sitting, it would probably be easier to clean under the 2x6 as everything is right in front of you...when you have a loft that sits off to one side like the top one, you kind of have to reach around the supporting grid.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I agree, I like the larger loft better. It's not too hard to clean under a loft as long as you clean the loft first (gravity)
my main concern though is the ramp length, you do not want it to be too steep

kemmm

Cavy Slave
I was actually thinking the opposite...I feel like the way the cage will most likely be sitting, it would probably be easier to clean under the 2x6 as everything is right in front of you...when you have a loft that sits off to one side like the top one, you kind of have to reach around the supporting grid.
I was thinking the same thing about cleaning but wasn't sure if it made sense.

I agree, I like the larger loft better. It's not too hard to clean under a loft as long as you clean the loft first (gravity)
my main concern though is the ramp length, you do not want it to be too steep
The ramps are the ones that they make on this forum's sister site. It doesn't seem steep but they're also my first piggy ramps ever so I'm not quite sure what is or isn't too steep for them. They do seem to run up and down it quite often.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Is your cage going to be up against a wall? I was thinking that if it is in the middle of a room, you could make it so that the back wall of the lower level (under the loft) folds down. Then you could go around back and open it to reach in under the loft to clean more easily. I did this on the front of my loft, since it is high up and I wouldn't be able to reach in the top.

Here is my cage, with the loft closed:

WP_20151018_005.jpg

Here is the loft with the front grid wall folded down:
WP_20151024_002.jpg

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I would say the 2nd design is probably the better bet since they would have way more running room! both designs are nice and big though :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.