Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Where to find piggy rescues?

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
I live in Adelaide, sa and am appalled by the lack of rescues. every other state have a guinea pig rescue thing, except mine. does anyone know of anyone or any place that has guineas regularly? I need regular because I need to adopt a female (or a desexed male) and would much prefer if they were young (since I cant stand the thought of only having a pig for a couple years and then it dying of old age) last time I had to go to a breeder (they are reputable, don't over produce and know what they are doing) but I would much rather rescue. please help!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
@guineagirl7, There's no guarantee that a young guinea pig is going to live a long life. I adopted a senior female at age 5 and she lived to be 9.5 years. It's not unheard of having a guinea pig live to be 9 years or even longer. I think you should reconsider only wanting a young one.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Very true what pinky says. I adopted a pair of 5 month old boars. One is still with us the other passed away in April at 1 year 10 months old. Extremely heartbreaking to watch a pig so young pass over the rainbow bridge. My previous pigs lived to be around 10 years old. Youth is no guarantee of a long life :(

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
@guineagirl7 , There's no guarantee that a young guinea pig is going to live a long life. I adopted a senior female at age 5 and she lived to be 9.5 years. It's not unheard of having a guinea pig live to be 9 years or even longer. I think you should reconsider only wanting a young one.

I said I would prefer a young one since my girls are pretty protective and dominant and take much better to babies, especially Beatrice, than adults, who they see as threats. I haven't ruled out an older one, I just think the chances are a young one would be better, every pig is different and I could be wrong though.

IllryiaRTBW

Cavy Slave
I can't suggest the Australian Cavy Sanctuary enough. I've adopted from the Melboure shelter and the piggies have been in great shape, the woman who looked after them all knew their personalities and was really dedicated to getting a good match for both piggies and humans. The site it's self is a fantastic resources but I'm not sure if they've got shelters all over Australia or not, here's the site: (broken link removed)
One of my piggies died of lymphoma at the age of only 2 so as others say getting a young pig doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to live a long life, however a younger piggie is more resilient if it takes them a bit longer to work out the pecking order.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I can't suggest the Australian Cavy Sanctuary enough. I've adopted from the Melboure shelter and the piggies have been in great shape, the woman who looked after them all knew their personalities and was really dedicated to getting a good match for both piggies and humans. The site it's self is a fantastic resources but I'm not sure if they've got shelters all over Australia or not, here's the site: (broken link removed)
One of my piggies died of lymphoma at the age of only 2 so as others say getting a young pig doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to live a long life, however a younger piggie is more resilient if it takes them a bit longer to work out the pecking order.

She's wonderful isn't she? I adopted my Fizz-Wizz from her about...3 years ago now I think, and am currently fostering a couple boys for her. I'm a complete failure as a foster home though...fostered a pregnant girl, and she had 5 babies. 2 girls and 3 boys. Am keeping the mum, both girls and one of the boys (my mum has fallen in love with him, he has a very similar personality to her first pig, Charlie who also passed away from Lymphoma at age 2). The two other boys will be going back to the rescue soon...Bach is driving me nuts, he's adorable, and I love him...but he's so damn motivated by women! (1 room, 8 pigs, 3 cages, 5 girls...it causes a lot of stress on the boys) :p

IllryiaRTBW

Cavy Slave
She's wonderful isn't she? I adopted my Fizz-Wizz from her about...3 years ago now I think, and am currently fostering a couple boys for her. I'm a complete failure as a foster home though...fostered a pregnant girl, and she had 5 babies. 2 girls and 3 boys. Am keeping the mum, both girls and one of the boys (my mum has fallen in love with him, he has a very similar personality to her first pig, Charlie who also passed away from Lymphoma at age 2). The two other boys will be going back to the rescue soon...Bach is driving me nuts, he's adorable, and I love him...but he's so damn motivated by women! (1 room, 8 pigs, 3 cages, 5 girls...it causes a lot of stress on the boys) :p

She is amazing! I'm sorry to hear you lost one of your piggies to Lymphoma, I lost a girl only a year after I adopted her she was also 2 when she died of it. Ah yes Lil says that's a 'failed foster' but still she's happy as long as the piggies get a good home...very dedicated to her piggies. In a month or two I'll adopt another girl, I just lost my gorgeous Nellie to a brain tumor (non-cancerous) and I don't feel ready to adopt another just yet. Ha ha Bach sounds like a womaniser in the making! How cute.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.