Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition What all to feed guineas?

Fleetwood Mac

Cavy Slave
I currently feed my guinea vito guinea pig formula, and pet supplies plus brand Timothy hay. What all else should I feed them?? Like what veggies/vitamins, how much, and how often??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Fleetwood Mac, please pick a thread and confine all possibly medical- or diet-related questions to that thread. It is very difficult for people to help you when the information about your pig is spread all over the site.

Let me know when you've picked on, and I'll change the title and close the others.

Fleetwood Mac

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Sorry, I’m confused. I thought that since it’s a separate question it’d be a separate post?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need roughly a cup of veggies every day, besides unlimited hay and some pellets...most important is they get vitamin c from veggies, because like humans they're one of the few animals who can't make it on their own.
The best vitamin c veggie they can and need to have every day is yellow bell pepper...my piggies LOVE it, and it has more vitamin c than anything else you can give them! Other bell peppers, oranges, kiwi, and cilantro are great vitamin c foods too. But all of those you have to give them small pieces of everyday ( think half an orange slice/one sprig of cilantro/etc ) or a few times a week because they're high in sugar ( except green bell pepper ) and cilantro is high in calcium.
For greens, they need green leaf or red leaf lettuce. Never give them iceberg, and romaine is also bad due to calcium content.
The best pellets that piggies love are Oxbow! I highly recommend switching to them; they're high quality and fortified with vitamin c. Be careful you don't get them any pellets with colored pellets and/or seeds in them. They're very unhealthy like potatoe chips would be for us, cause digestive issues, and seeds are actually dangerous.
Timothy hay is perfect!
For example: Besides unlimited hay and bowl of Oxbow pellets, my piggies eat a piece of green or red leaf lettuce, a sprig of cilantro, yellow pepper, green pepper, cucumber, and a small piece of orange every day :)

Here is a fantastic plant and veggie list :
(broken link removed)
And a really great site: www.guineapigmanual.com it's very readable, fun, and packed with important info for piggy owners!
Also here, under About Guinea Pigs right at the top, is an awesome list of websites for new piggy owners that will help you out with all kinds of stuff :)
Best of luck and happy reading!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.