Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Wendell Needs Your help...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Hello. I just read every thread on dandruff and it seems not many people even bother to respond to the question. So please if you have any advice please let me know. Here is the situation...

Wendell is a guinea pig that I rescued from being euthanized at a local pet store. Seems he was there for 4 months and after being listed for free for the last two weeks he was there still no one wanted him. I dont know his age. He is a Texel or a mix and didnt know what to do with veggies when I brought him home. So I took him to the vet (3 months ago) because he was itching a lot and he had a severe case of dandruff. He was treated twice with injected invermectin and treated twice with topical revolution over a months time. We also shaved him. Well now he has been vet checked and has no fungus, no lice, no parisites. His hair has grown back and he is not scratching. But he still has a thick layer of dandruff in about a 2 inch square area on his butt. I know for sure it is not his grease gland unless his grease gland extrudes white stuff... So what can I do? His vet is not too cavy savy and I know this but she is willing to do research and learn with me. So it must be dandruff so now what? O' also he seems to not like that area being touched or brushed. Are there any home products I could use? Or over the counter stuff? Cat dandruff spray? Bath stuff? He does not like being petted or cuddled I would like to make him more comfortable. Please let me know what I can do??? Thank you

Im not sure if you can order some shampoo and melts from a website called gorgeous guineas, im form the uk and ordered some for my boar who had some dandruff, the shampoo and melt worked a treat for him and his fine now. Maybe this is of some help or visit guinea lynx?

Was he checked for ring worm?

Yes Wendell was checked for mites, ringworm, other fungus, and lice. Only Lice came back positive. He was tested at all 4 of his vet visits...

I understand lice on cavys do look like fluffy white dandruff.

If you treated the pig it's possible that they survived in his bedding/cage perhaps and he keeps getting reinfected? (This happens with children ALL the time)

We were super careful about cleaning the fleece a lot. He has been clean of lice for over a month. The dandruff has pursisted at the same amount throughout all the treatments. The only time it went away was when we shaved him and gave him a bath. He sure liked being shaved, he popcorned around a lot more than he does now. He didnt mind being petted as much. So I think its an irritation thing. We use free and clear soaps on all our washings as my sons have fragrance issues as well. They dont have dusty bedding. I guess since everyone insists its a parasite issues I will just try some of the shampoos and such that guinealynx suggested for soothing ring worm. Thanks anyways

Last edited:
There's a Humilac spray you could try, I have used that for my teddy that gets itchy/flaky skin sometimes. Another thing that might help is a very thin layer of mineral oil to moisten/soften the area.

If it's been going on for an extended period of time with no improvement you need to get him to a vet. Skin conditions can be very painful and irritating and might require a prescription product to clear up completely.

Thank you Paula. It has been going on for the whole time I have had him (over 3 months) and the only time it seemed to improve is when we shaved and bathed him. I have talked to his vet she is not cavy savy though and I am in the process of finding another. But I cant seem to find one in walking distance as I dont have a vehicle and there is no public transportation here. Well now that his vet and I are sure it is not a parasite or fungus so we will work on the next possible choice.

(broken link removed) is a good source for the Humilac Spray online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.