Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Weather and safety for pigs..

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I am sorry if I may have posted this in the wrong category, I could not figure where to place it. If you turn on the National news you will see that Wisconsin is under some serious weather at the moment and is not far away from me! Tornados breaking out about 40 minutes from me and heading my way. I always bring all my pets downstairs with us, I was wondering while I am packing up food for them, flashlights and blankets fo us, all my daughter's safety items.. We were wondering the best way to house the pigs downstairs? We have a kennel cab with a towel in it. Would they be safe in that for an hour or so until we get through this terrible storm system? We are under a watch and it will be a warning soon, so I want to get downstairs before it happens with all the pets...What should I pack them, a water bottle, hay? Just want to make sure they come with us, so please if anyone has suggestions, would them being in a kennel cab be safe for an hour or so, what should I bring with us? Please respond quickly, want to move them to safety asap!!! Thank you

Same here! we had a tornado watch and a hail storm and had a tree at the park across the street from me get struck by lightning! and the streets flooded! it was terrible! and now its just storming a little. Thunder here and thunder there. I would pack them up once you have a tornado warning. We didn't get a tornado here so don't worry till its a warning

Sounds fine to me...safer than being upstairs. Hay and water would be good. If there is a chance you would be down longer you might want pellets. Best wishes!

We are downstairs, I just grabbed my daughter her things, our 2 cats, our dog, got the pigs in a kennel and water bottle for them. They just had vegies, so I figured just get them downstairs. 2 tornados on ground heading our way.. Several rotating clouds.. SCARY! Got the whole family down here, hope what I did for the pigs is safe enough for now..

Is there a tornado warning?? By the way I wish you and your family luck and I hope your stay safe!

Yes, tornado warnings everywhere, sirens blaring, near us, very near! Confirmed on ground! Hopefully no one gets really hurt and it misses us! Good Lord! Pigs are not too happy to be in kennel again.. But at least we are downstairs!

Ick, tornadoes are scary.
We live in tornado alley, in a duplex apartment, no basement. It is brick, and we have a small bathroom on the inside wall of the whole house, but it would still not be safe enough.

We haven't had much bad weather yet where I am at though.

Best luck with riding out the storm! I'm sure everyone will be fine.

No advice here. Stay safe!

Wow scary I'm terrified of tornadoes. Atleast everybody is downstairs and together. Best of luck!

Wow, that was TERRIBLE! Some of friends we cannot get a hold of in the town of Eagle, Wi! We are terrified for them, the town had a hit by the tornado, search and rescue is out.. Hope everything is ok!

We are back up, the pigs actually fell asleep in the cage.. They just drank water, but they are good... We have been down graded to a watch now, but that was a pretty bad hour and a half.. Never seen so much rotating clouds and tornados near us.. I have the cage next to their cage for any next time! SCARY! Maybe I should get a cage set up downstairs for times like this, maybe a small one just for this stuff?

Glad everyone is OK! Wow the piggies fell asleep! Brave piggies! Hopefully no other storms come your way.

Yeah, wow, that was scary! Hubby and I talked and we are gonna set up a small cage downstairs in case this happens again.. We are lucky with the other pets, they just follow us down.. My daughter was so upset about her pigs.. Next time I am putting them down just in a watch, so I do not have to hurry so fast when it comes.. I guess anyone who is lucky enough to have a basement should consider their pet safety too... Sheewww, glad that it is over the Lake now.. My piggies are brave, lol

The cage downstairs sounds like a good idea. Used to live in Minnesota, so I saw a couple tornadoes and they terrified me..

Your piggies and other pets are very lucky to have you! I am glad you and your family are safe. Tornadoes are very scary and is it just me or do we seem to be having a lot more of them this year? It is actually a very good idea to keep your piggies and other pets in portable carriers of some kind. If the worst happens and one hits your area directly you might have to walk a long way through debris to get somewhere safe. It is a good idea for you to have shoes with thick soles and maybe something thick to wear like blue jeans. You do not want to be walking on glass or splintered wood and metal in clogs or sandals . Prepare a spot in the basement to keep these items so they will just be there if you need them. Also a bag with a flashlight, extra food for your pets, bottled water and any medications you or your pets are taking would be a good idea but keep it light and portable. Chances are the worst will never happen but it is always better to be prepared. Sorry, I did not mean to bombard you with unsolicited advice. These are just some things people usually do not think about until then need them. I hope this storm season passes quickly and uneventfully for us all.

Prayers going your way!

I think the guineas are going to be ok in the small enclosure for a couple of hours. Just make sure they have water, hay, and pellets. A couple of veggies just in case they get scared.

I hope you and your family get through this safely.:love:

We made it through last night, thankfully! It was scary, some of my friends homes were leveled in the town of Eagle, but they are safe! It was quite scary, and I have a ton of stuff downstairs for our pets prepared.. Our pigs we have only had since April, so this was an experience I was not prepared for with them, but I will be soon! I am going to prepapre a small cage downstairs for them, so when we hear of a tornado watch, I am gonna put them down right away, till we get an all clear..

Last night, we had a watch issued then all the sudden we were watching TV and we thought we had at least 30 minutes left.. But suddenly, the sirens started screaming and there were several rotating clouds over us.. The wind was crazy, so we put the pigs in a kennel with water, (all I had time to do) and brought all the family first downstairs, then all the pets.. We were down maybe within 2 minutes, all of us.. We are safe, but it was terrifying!

I am gonna take your guys suggestions of what to add more to my safety plan, so I appreciate your suggestions! THANK YOU!

Glad to hear you are all safe. How scary! Sounds like you have a great plan for the future though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.