Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cats/Kittens We just found a kitty! But I've never had a cat..

• Thread starter Coughingcolours
  • Start date

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Poor baby probably had a home and got dumped. That happened near me big time because of the foreclosures. Friendly, sweet kitties everywhere, wondering where their humans had gone. He's a gorgeous kitty (I have a black cat, too). Kudos to you for taking him. Black cats are the first to be euthanized at shelters because of stupid superstitions.

The symptoms are probably a URI but could also be the feline herpes virus. That's still fine. The elderly cat we adopted likely has it, so the vet just recommended an L-lysine supplement. We have to get her an antibiotic shot every month or two as well, but that's because she's so old and had gotten in such bad shape before we adopte her. Good luck with your new friend!

Oh, and have more than one scratching post to keep claws away from your furniture. Put double sided tape anywhere he starts to scratch.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
That's what everyone seems to think here, as well. There have been a lot of people losing their homes in Duluth recently, and so many free cats online, and everywhere, because the shelters are full. (we only have three in the immediate area)

He's actually an amazing kitty! He's scratched a liiittle bit, but not much at all. We made sure to get a squirt bottle too, for when he does. Plus, my boyfriend's mom brought a kitty cube over (we couldn't use it for the pigs because of the material its made out of) and he LOVES that!
We'll also be getting soft claws from the vet next week when he goes in for his check up. (if they don't have them, we're going to order them. They're awesome, and cheap, and neither of us believe in declawing.)

And, in the end, if he does end up having a loving home, he will go back there. But until then, we don't mind buying cat stuff and paying a pet deposit, because we've been wanting to get a kitty. So, if he ends up not staying here we'll take some time to be sad about losing him, but we'll be all set up for when we are ready for another. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.