Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Vitamin C for Guinea pigs - Importance and use

waqar4841

Cavy Gazer
For the biologic machinery of the body to work correctly, vitamin C is required. Most animals can manufacture vitamin C in their bodies and do not require vitamin C in the diet. Guinea pigs, humans, and other primates share a gene mutation that makes production of vitamin C impossible. For this reason, these animals require a dietary source of vitamin C.Here are some symptoms when you need to feed vitamin c supplement

• Poor hair coat
  • Swellings or sores around the mouth/lips
  • Delayed wound healing
  • Poor appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty moving or enlarged joints

Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement

These were recommended for our guinea pig by our vet, after a costly trip to the animal hospital. Our piggie, HunnyBunny, LOVES them! My daughter feeds one to her each morning when she wakes up for school. We no longer need a 6am alarm clock, because Hunny starts squealing *loudly* around 5:30am, in anticipation of her treat.

The tablets smell so good, I've been tempted to taste one. If there was a candle that smelled like these vitamin supplements, I'd totally want one!.But make sure to check requirements on supplement box like i have horse where i even read description on his hoof supplement or joint supplement to make sure better experience.

Timothy Hay allergen sufferers beware: Timothy Hay is the first ingredient in these tablets. My other daughter is allergic and simply handling these triggers a reaction, that is my personal choice

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Fresh bell peppers are the best souce of vit c. Fresh vegetables are always better than supplements.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.