Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Veggie Menu?

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
Do I have the right amounts/enough variety in my 2 pigs veggie menu??:

-1 half leaf of romaine lettuce a day
-1 big carrot a day
-2 sprigs of parsley a day
-1/4 wedge of an orange e.o.d.
-2 trees of broccoli e.o.d.
-handful of grass a day

Thanks everyone!!

You could go more on the lettuce, but I'd mix it up and do green or red leaf lettuce on a rotating basis. You could also offer boston (bibb) or endive too. I wouldn't do romaine lettuce every day for a couple reasons.

Don't offer more than a baby carrot per pig per day (or the equivalent size of regular carrot).

2 sprigs of parsley is fine but don't give it every day or even every other day. Once or twice a week at most.

I wouldn't give orange or broccoli more than once a week either, if that much, especially on the orange. The amounts look ok.

What are the couple of reasons to not feed the romaine lettuce every day?

Do I have the right amounts/enough variety in my 2 pigs veggie menu??:

-1 half leaf of romaine lettuce a day
-1 big carrot a day
-2 sprigs of parsley a day
-1/4 wedge of an orange e.o.d.
-2 trees of broccoli e.o.d.
-handful of grass a day

Thanks everyone!!

You need 2-3 types of lettuces. Romaine, red or green leaf, butterhead, etc.

No more than 1 small/medium baby carrot per pig per day. One large carrot is too much. Carrots are high in oxalic acid and Vitamin A and can cause liver/kidney damage if feed too much over a long period of time.

Parsley is ok for a twice a week food. Cilantro is a better daily choice and can be given in large amounts.

Fruits need to be limited to no more than once or twice a week and not limited to one thing. Try a different fruit each week but keep them in small amounts.

Broccoli florets are great for C but they also need limited to no more than once or twice per week.

Grass is a great forage and can be given in larger amounts.

As far as variety, you need more variety in your diet. I'd add in bell pepper on a daily basis as it's wonderful for C content.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.