Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Veggie help :)

Manvsclock

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,
As a vegetarian (and slowly transforming vegan) who travels pretty much full time – I know only too well the problems of avoiding animal products in my food. I usually use the (awesome) 'happy cow' app, but sometimes it's just not enough for me.
Sooo...I'm developing an app for vegetarian/vegan travellers to make their lives (and mine) on the road easier, more fun and stress-free.
A big feature of the app will be direct translations in 35 languages for lacto-ovo veggies and vegans requests (for now). There was an app that did this called 'Veggie Passport' a few years ago, but it stopped updating and got deleted.
Which questions would you like to be able to say in any language to avoid animal products, when you travel? So far I have:
“I do not eat any meat, fish or dairy products.Please can you ask the chef to cook me a meal without them?”
“I don't eat any meat. Can I order this without meat?”
“Can you recommend me a meal on the menu that has no meat, or dairy in the recipe?”
The more specific the better. Thanks in advance
Anthony

stillme

Cavy Slave
While I love your thinking, I have used google translate to do this, so I don't believe it would be widely used.
Or better yet, one could learn the phrases using google translate and be able to talk to the waiter themselves.

Manvsclock

Cavy Slave
While I love your thinking, I have used google translate to do this, so I don't believe it would be widely used.
Or better yet, one could learn the phrases using google translate and be able to talk to the waiter themselves.

Hi stillme,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with those Google translators are they can be very far off and you also have to be online for them. I was in Japan this year and they don't make it easy for foreigners to hop online compared to other nations. :)

stillme

Cavy Slave
Hi stillme,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with those Google translators are they can be very far off and you also have to be online for them. I was in Japan this year and they don't make it easy for foreigners to hop online compared to other nations. :)

I haven't found them to be far off, in Krakow, Latvija, and Slovakia it was very useful. But, for people being offline, I can see them being in need of a non-internet affiliated app.

Manvsclock

Cavy Slave
I haven't found them to be far off, in Krakow, Latvija, and Slovakia it was very useful. But, for people being offline, I can see them being in need of a non-internet affiliated app.

I see. What kind of things did you specify? I know some countries the word "vegetarian" just translates as give me thin pieces of meat, or little meat - such as in China.

I had major problems in South Korea, Russia and Cambodia with Google translator.

stillme

Cavy Slave
You could always, of course, use google translate at home, write it down, and then show it to them.
China is not a place where ANYONE understands not eating meat. Telling them you eat no ANIMALS at all is your best bet.
However, your app could tell people what vegetarian OPTIONS to look out for on Happy Cow restaurants.

The reason I mention Latvija is this; most people don't know much about it at all, however, we managed to get around really well by learning a few simple words and using google translator to identify ourselves as "vegetarian" even though most people their wouldn't consider it.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I'd show you sign language, but i'm on a computer. :)
Great idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.