Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian???

MuldersMom

Cavy Slave
Hello. I am interested in becoming a vegetarian. I am not against it at all, hence me wanting to explore it. I do have questions that I would like answered if anyone knows. Kind of like an answer list to have when people question you on it. I'm just like that I guess. Anywho...here goes.

1. What about the overpopulation of animals? Now I know MOST of the animals are bred, but thinking of all the wild animals that people hunt to eat.

2. If we all go vegetarian what happens to all the animals? Do we keep them for pets or will they just become extinct? I know that is EXTREMELY far fetched but wanna know what you guys think.

3. If you are a vegan.....what are your feelings on dairy, eggs, and the such that does not kill them animal but uses them to our benefit?

I think that's all I have at the moment. :) I appreciate anyone who can enlighten me on these issues.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
1. Overpopulation wasn't a problem until we moved into their land. Now all hunters have to talk about is overpopulation and that is why they get to kill innocent animals. I do understand why there are hunters though but it is our fault that there is an overpopulation. I have no answer for this but hopefully someone else does.

2.Far fetched is right. Animals were here first. We don't create animals so that we can eat them. If we all became veg's than animals wouldn't have to suffer the way they do for us. We never asked them to go through all of it so we can eat, we put them through it. Go look up PETA! Animals are not here for us, granted domesticated animals will never be wild again so we do keep them as pets, but animals are not on this planet so that we can test and eat them. Plants have no feeling or emotion, they were practically put here for us to eat and to regulate our environment.

3. Vegan's don't eat dairy because those cows are still being as mistreated as beef cows are. Go to PETA and watch the videos!!! Those animals would be better off killed then go through what they have to go through for our food. Plus think of this we are the only creature that drinks milk after being a baby, and the only creature that drinks someone else's milk!! Every gallon of milk contains pus and blood from the cows that have to produce it! No matter if it is heated up and cooled down! The chickens that give us their eggs aren't what you see in the movies where the good ole farmer checks the roost for any eggs that were layed for breakfast, these chickens are out into huge farms where they never see the light of day and have barely any room to walk. With their beaks burned or clipped off. They are over fed and produce as many eggs as possible until they die. On top of being mistreated all day long and scared to death of anyone coming close to them.

MuldersMom

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it. Your answers brought up new questions for me.

There is the deal with wild animals becoming overpopulated when we don't hunt them. I know this to be true and not sure what the answer to that would be for someone for animal rights. Also, if we stopped using all the domesticated food animals, cows, pigs, etc. Wouldn't they become overpopulated as well, eating our plants, fruits, vegetables? I know we can always say that we moved in on their territory, but really what else would we do, now?

As for the inhumane treatment of the animals I all totally and completely in agreement with that. I have seen things on TV, and in person since I live in an area where animals are bred and slaughtered in my area. It's horrible! That I understand as not being right at all. I guess maybe we had it right in the days when you killed your own cow personally without all the mistreatment, and harvested your own eggs from the chickens you took care of.

It kinda seems like there is an overpopulation of us! What can we do about that?

Sorry if I rambled. I would like to hear all your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
They wouldn't have the chance to eat all of our plants. Think of the animals back in the day that lived free and ate what they wanted when they wanted too. The plants just didn't up and disappear and think of this if we don't have farms that hold cows until they are good for beef we would have more fruit and vegetable farms. More veggies for us to eat any how.

If all animals were wild again (again I will say that is a stretch) they would find their own food while we have our farms and create our own food.

Overpopulation...I still have no answer to that question. I do think that if we were back in time and we did kill our own animal and used every part of the animal we killed to use there wouldn't be as much abuse.

We have overpopulated this world. It is a fact that we have but we can't do anything about it now, it is actually getting worse! With no way to stop it.

What we are working towards is to just plain out stop the abuse. If people must eat meat. Those animals don't deserve to die for us, what have we done for them that they should die for us?

Last edited:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Congrats on thinking about vegetarianism - it's a big decision and certainly not one to be entered into lightly. I think you'll find that the more research and thought you put into it in the beginning, the easier it will be to follow through on.

I wanted to touch on your questions, as I think they are excellent questions. Probably most people considering vegetarianism or veganism ponder the exact same types of issues. It's good to get a handle on those kinds of issues, both for your own piece of mind and to also have the information for the inevitable debates that occur once you change your eating habits.

The overpopulation of animals is a concern. If all the current meat eaters were to suddenly and irrevocably stop eating meat, there would be a tremendous surge in the population of "food" animals, who would need homes. That would present an interesting and potentially problematic dilemma - how to care for those animals without sacrificing them for food. On the whole, though, I think the vegetarian/vegan movement is more likely to bring about gradual change and reversal, as opposed to a sudden stop, of animal consumption, so hopefully the issue of what to do with those animals will be moot. I imagine the answer will simply be to not breed so many.

If they end up extinct, I'm sure that would be a shame and probably a gross injustice to all "food" animals, but as long as those species weren't being abused and used for human consumption anymore, I don't think I'd consider that a tragedy.

Hunting animals are slightly different. The population of wild "prey" animals are artificially increased by human beings (by the elimination of their natural predators) for the express purpose of there being more animals for human beings to hunt. If left to its own devices nature can control it's own population, through a balance of predators to prey.

Of course, with the way human beings are encroaching on all of the land in existence, we are driving out both predators and prey, which is creating problems with extinction among many species. If human beings want to preserve species, the elimination of hunting as a sport and the protection of environment and habitats should be first priorities.

Dairy cows and battery hens endure just as much abuse and neglect as the animals used for meat; perhaps even more so, because they don't even have the sweet release of death to look forward to after a relatively short period of time.

Human beings are definitely overpopulating the world. That's a given, but a very complex issue. A multitude of things would help improve that problem - better birth control, better education, more meaningful social roles for women, and allowing people to die, rather than keeping the living dead alive. Of course, that particular problem is so multi-factorial - socio-economical, cultural, political, and theological - who knows if it will ever be solved?

You've taken one of the great first steps towards eradicating some of the most common place and insidious instances of animal abuse in the world. I hope you will continue to research vegetarianism and veganism, and consider making the switch. Not only is it better for the animals, but it's a better life style for your health and the environment, as well.

For more information, please consider looking into these sources:

GoVeg.com // Vegetarian 101 (you can get a free vegetarian starter kit here)

and consider reading:

"A Diet for a New America" by John Robbins and "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer. While both may be a bit dated, they do an excellent job of explaining the impact of eating meat on not just the individual, but the population as a whole.

time4mercy

Cavy Slave
Another great book about humanity's relationship with animals (although not centred on vegetarianism) is "Dominion" by Matthew Scully. I highly recommend it.

((broken link removed))

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Remember too that with egg farming, even that which is free range, for every hen born to lay eggs there is a male chick that is killed for being "useless". This adds up to a tremendous number of male chicks killed every year.

With dairy cows, hormones and selective breeding have led to these animals having to produce far more milk than is naturally comfortable for them. Dairy cows are often spent at around a fifth of their actual life span whereby they are sent to slaughter for low grade meat. And of course their male calves and the female calves that are not needed, are an unavoidable by-product of wanting the cows to lactate enough. These calves are taken from their mothers which causes great emotional pain, and again they are used for low grade meat.

The numbers of farm animals in our countries are staggering. What must be remembered is that very few of these animals are "natural", that is, they do not exist in the wild. Over the centuries humans have modified them through breeding into animals that grow at gross rates, often unable to live out their true lifespan in good health and comfort. If we all became veg*n over time the demand would go down and less animals would be "produced" by humans. Eventually yes, they would probably cease to exist, after all - most are born into a world of discomfort and pain.

And I would hope that, were veg*nism to become the norm, our respect for animals would have grown enough that we would recognise their right to co-exist alongside us, stop encroaching into their habitats and allow the predators (no longer would they threaten the non-existent livestock after all!) and herbivores alike to live naturally. There are countries where hunting is far less common at present that do not have problems with overpopulation.

Congratulations on your decision to become vegetarian, I hope it goes well for you :) These websites might be handy for you:

GoVeg.com: Vegetarian and Vegan Information
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.