Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Under bunnies chin

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I am quite upset right now because i dont know whats going on with my . :(

I was brushing him and giving him hos monthly "check up" when i felt under his chin... the fur was hard and matted and seemed to be little lumps, almost like scabs...

I took a cloth with warm water and gently rubbed it but it didnt seem to make a diverence.

I opend his mouth and checked his teethe and his teethe were straight and in good condition.

He eats and drinks everyday and always has an endless amount of hay.
He does binkies and runs through tunnels with no problem so i dont think there is any pain.

His water bottle broke a month ago and i havent got to buying a new one because i want to get a really good one, so he has been drinking from a bowl, i can understand the matting from that but not the scabs..

I am not sure what to think, any help apprecitated.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
with my ** bunny** sorry for the mistake

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Matted fur underneath the chin in rabbits indicates a tooth problem. Have a look to see if he's teeth are getting too long. If you can't see something I would take him to a rabbit dentist or vet.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
really?? He eats and everything fine... He has to get nueterd in a week or too so i will get it checked out then. If this is whats happening is it really serious?? will i have to put my baby down?? oh god i hope not

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
really?? He eats and everything fine... He has to get nueterd in a week or too so i will get it checked out then. If this is whats happening is it really serious?? will i have to put my baby down?? oh god i hope not

If it's overgrown teeth, he will require a good vet who is knowledgeable in dentistry & rabbits, and have the teeth trimmed.
The real issue is to figure out why they were overgrown in the first place. The scabs is what doesn't add up though & we can't diagnose him over a forum. A vet visit is needed.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@SMMJesssee Tooth problems are common among rabbits. If his teeth have gotten to long they will just trim them and there should be no harm done. Also under the chin rabbits have a scent glad so it could be something to do with that, and the scabs could be from him scratching, if it is I suggest cleaning the mattered fur with warm water. Hope this has helped. I suggest going to a vet that specializes in rabbits.

Last edited:

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i Have no problem with bringing him to the vet.

I dont see why his teeth would be over grown though :( He always has wood chews and he eats them like crazy, but i did notice that he ate like 4 little mineral sticks in about 1 month, does that mean hes lacking somthing?? I looked up on the internet rabbit vets in my area and there are none :( but we brought my sick dog into a 24 hour emergency vet and they had all the newest technoligy and they were great, crazy expensive but great :D i think im going to bring him there

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
It could also possibly be his scent gland which is causing the mattered fur as I said before, that would also explain the scabs (As he would itch it). If it is just his scent gland being active then I would just get a towel and soak it in warm water and clean the mattered fur. As for the scabs you can always use Savlon (Not sure if it is available where you live) which can be purchased at chemists (It's 100% safe for animals). Also make sure the vet you go to is experienced with rabbits and knows what they are doing. There is a possibility it could be a mite if he has been losing fur (I think it would most likely be his scent gland as it's located under the neck). All the best for you and your rabbit.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
i Have no problem with bringing him to the vet.

I dont see why his teeth would be over grown though :( He always has wood chews and he eats them like crazy, but i did notice that he ate like 4 little mineral sticks in about 1 month, does that mean hes lacking somthing?? I looked up on the internet rabbit vets in my area and there are none :( but we brought my sick dog into a 24 hour emergency vet and they had all the newest technoligy and they were great, crazy expensive but great :D i think im going to bring him there

Does he have an unlimited supply of Timothy hay?
Edit: (Just remembered that this is about a rabbit. Dunno if they need unlimited hay or not, my bad) :p

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You said you switched him to a bowl, is his chin or dewlap getting wet and maybe staying wet causing the skin to rash? If teeth problems are a possibility he needs to see a rabbit vet.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes he does have unlimeted orchid grass, much better then timothy for a rabbit.
His chin does get wet when he drinks but so does my other bunnys and he doesnt have that problem.
I dont under stand how it could be teeth problems because they eat tons of wooden chews and eats his hay and pellets...

I am going to clean it up down there with warm water and see what happens, Is there any kind of small animal ointment that can be bought at petsmart?? Because thats where i buy their supplies and i dont think i have the same things as people in the UK or in the USA.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Photo on 2013-01-07 at 11.12.jpg

Photo on 2013-01-07 at 11.12 #3.jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I did a quick google search for your problem just to see if anything else came up and it seems more likely to be one of two things, either the water that is wetting his chin is causing the skin to become irritated, especially if he has a dewlap, some rabbits have more sensitive skin than others that may explain why he has a rash and the other does not. Or he has teeth issues. Similar to guinea pigs rabbits do not show out word signs until the problem is fairly progressed. Other problems could be mites or fungus. If he were mine I'd get him a water bottle and take him to the vet to get his teeth checked just to make sure.

Edit to Add: He could have teeth problems even with all the chewies and hay if his teeth are misaligned in the back or maybe he broke one and the opposite tooth wasn't able to grind down properly.

Last edited:

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
OKay, he will not be getting nueterd till about the end of january. Do you think that is too long to wait??

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
if a dewlap is that little bunch of fat ont he neck, no he does not have one

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
where has this been moved too??

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
OKay, he will not be getting nueterd till about the end of january. Do you think that is too long to wait??

If it is his teeth probably not; if it is just the water dish then just switch the dish out for a bottle and you should see improvement. No one here can really help you more than that. He needs to see a rabbit knowledgeable vet to answer your questions and get an appropriate diagnosis.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
okay thanks anyway.

does anyone know of any kind of small pet cream that can pe bought at petsmart??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.