Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ugh, need help with adopting

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Hello Fellow Posters, I need help adopting a friend for my sow. I have been through Petfinder.com and found one, e-mailed them, answered the questions, and finally, then, they said you have to be 18 or older to adopt after ALL I went through, THEN, I found another one in a "High kill shelter" so I just HAD to do my best to save it from getting put to sleep, so when I called them, they only had one boy left, soooo, they didnt have the girl anymore, and I really hope it got adopted and not put to sleep. So as you can see im trying my best, for you have to remember, kids can do anything. So as a hopeless kid as I am, I need help finding a female guinea pig up for adoption in California, before this Wedensday, if ya wanna know why before Wedensday, its cuz I wanna female guinea pig for my female to be best friends with for my birthday, and my birthday is this Wedensday. So PLEASE help me guys, nobody give me Petfinder.com ive been through that hopeless website, you guys are all I have to turn to, Ive been to every guinea pig shelter website there is, I even found myself in a guinea pig shelter in Washington when I found another, but as you can see, finding one in a different state is not an option.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
What part of So Cal are you in? I'm in LA. I know of pigs in OC, San Diego and LA area. I may be able to help you find a piggie in surrounding areas. There's tons of piggies in CA. Can you get your parents to adopt? I think they'd just need a guardian to fill out an application or something.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Lake Elsinore. Yes Im trying to adopt one, I'll never look at a petstore, or a breeder.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Near Riverside?

There were some pigs at the Corona shelter and one at the Riverside AC, but they were adopted last week. Darn. There's a piggie at the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter. A pretty golden agouti. It doesn't say what sex though.

Here's the website:
(broken link removed)

How far are you able to travel?

OCCH has a private adoptions list. There are lots of piggies on there, maybe some near you or you can work out transport. Just email [email protected]

Try www.gpan.net, www.craigslist.org (pets section) or (broken link removed). There's petfinder classifieds and cavyrescue.com classifieds too. Try (broken link removed) too, but enter your zip code and all piggies in shelter within 3 hours come up.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
https://weecompanions.com/female_guinea_pigs.htm

Adoption Event!! Sunday, April 3rd, 11am to 2pm

Petco, 2445 West Vista Way, Oceanside, 92054

(Barnes & Noble complex)

There are lots of beautiful little girls on this website. And by posting this adoption event, I'm not supportin Petco, before anyone puts their boxing gloves on!!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
*Piglets-Angel* said:
Hello Fellow Posters, I need help adopting a friend for my sow. I have been through Petfinder.com and found one, e-mailed them, answered the questions, and finally, then, they said you have to be 18 or older to adopt after ALL I went through, THEN, I found another one in a "High kill shelter" so I just HAD to do my best to save it from getting put to sleep, so when I called them, they only had one boy left, soooo, they didnt have the girl anymore, and I really hope it got adopted and not put to sleep. So as you can see im trying my best, for you have to remember, kids can do anything. So as a hopeless kid as I am, I need help finding a female guinea pig up for adoption in California, before this Wedensday, if ya wanna know why before Wedensday, its cuz I wanna female guinea pig for my female to be best friends with for my birthday, and my birthday is this Wedensday. So PLEASE help me guys, nobody give me Petfinder.com ive been through that hopeless website, you guys are all I have to turn to, Ive been to every guinea pig shelter website there is, I even found myself in a guinea pig shelter in Washington when I found another, but as you can see, finding one in a different state is not an option.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hello, This is my first time so I hope it goes thru. Do you have 4-H programs in your area? I have a friend who leads a piggie 4-h. Our fair in AZ is in April. Baby Piggies that don't have the right coloring for show piggies are sold for a very small price. they are very healthy as the kids have a stict agenda they must have for raising them. I have 3 piggies and they all come from 4-H and they are all the wrong colors but great colors for me.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
This is an anti showing and anti breeding forum. I think you have the wrong forum. Besides, you need to create a new topic, not reply to someone else's.

Access

Cavy Slave
suzilovespiggie said:
Hello, This is my first time so I hope it goes thru. Do you have 4-H programs in your area? I have a friend who leads a piggie 4-h. Our fair in AZ is in April. Baby Piggies that don't have the right coloring for show piggies are sold for a very small price. they are very healthy as the kids have a stict agenda they must have for raising them. I have 3 piggies and they all come from 4-H and they are all the wrong colors but great colors for me.
How can a pig 'not have the right coloring'? All pigs are beautiful, they don't need a certain type of coloring or features, they are born beautiful. Do parents throw away their children just because they 'don't have the right coloring'? In some historical periods, it might have been commonplace, but we don't do that today, not civilized people at least. Good parents love their children no matter what they look like.

What if the 'wrong' colors were really the 'right' colors and vice versa. Just b'cos some out-species entity (in this case, a human) makes a descision about what is right and wrong when it comes to color doesn't mean that is the rule and law to live by.

Better to adopt from shelters and other places that need to find homes for their pigs rather than to take a breeder's / shower's pigs he feels are undesireable. He's just going to make more pigs, while the shelter will be able to care for another needy pig with the space you freed up.

And one more thing to point out, the pigs that do get sold sound like the lucky ones, they have a slight chance of ending up in a good home (whoever buys them may give them to adoption / shelter one or two months afterward, and then the adoption may find a real loving him for them).

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Are there two threads running on this same topic?

Piglets Angel:

Have your parents contact the individual that requires 18 and over.

There are many female guinea pigs in San Diego waiting to be re-homed. Perhaps you can convince your family to come down here for a day trip! (And conviently go home with your new piggy!)

https://www.weecompanions.com/

suzilovespiggie: There are a lot of informational threads that you can see on this website so you may learn about the cons of breeding and how to utilize adoption for your next piggies. Also, see the main site: www.cavyspirit.com for even more useful information! I know that 4-H individuals usually take good care of their animals, but this website focuses on rescue as the first and best option. See: https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm and https://cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm

Access: You give great advice nearly every time I've read one of your posts. But I find this last post harsh. "(whoever buys them may give them to adoption / shelter one or two months afterward, and then the adoption may find a real loving him for them)." Many people who buy from pet stores become educated later and provide excellent loving homes for these pigs. And just FYI, and I will accept responsibility if this starts a fight, **Not all people who adopt from shelters are angels, educated, or good homes!! Call you local shelter and ask a volunteer or employee how many people return animals days or weeks after having adopted them into a supposedly forever home. That is way CavySpirit has such a stringent process for screening adopters and a contract that states she will receive the gp back if it doesn't work out. Even the most careful rescue admits that some guinepigs will come back!**

And most importantly, your post was not at all helpful to Piglets Angel who is the person asking for help!!

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Not to be annoying or anything, but I really need help finding a female, tomorrow is my
b-day and thats when Im getting a female friend for my sow, alot of people say California has the biggest over population of piggies, but I cant even find one!!! I have already gone through 3 piggies that were a "no" so its so hard!!! It doesnt matter how far, just dont give me like Hollywood thats like 3 hours away, that is probably to far, rabbitsncavyluv yeah I do live near Riverside.

Please dont think Im annoying because I keep asking for help!!!

Last edited:

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
You're not annoying! How far away are you able/willing to drive?

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Well not sure, my mom might be willing to drive an hour or so.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
OHHH SO MANY AT THE ONE 40 MINUTES AWAY!!!!! Believe it or not, I found one, I love golden agoutis!! Heres her pic. hope it works...

sonia.jpg

Sonia is a beautiful golden agouti sow. She is about 6 to 7 month old. She is friendly and an excellent lap piggie. She is content to sit in your lap for hours, especially if you have treats.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Well, got some e-mailing to do!!

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Way to go! That's awesome! Will your mom drive 40 minutes? I'm now hooked on the drama, I have to know! :)

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Good luck. And hopefully congratulations *fingers crossed*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.