Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Trilling?

Fazie

Cavy Slave
My female piggie has just recently started making a noise I've never heard before, she doesn't wheek and rumble like my male does, but suddenly she's making....bird noises? It's a high pitches trill sound, my boyfriend says she sounds exactly like a tribble (from star trek) and yes it does sound like that.

The only time I've ever heard anything close to it was when I was watching some birds outside, the youngsters would make a similure noise to the parent bird, with their mouth open and fluttering their wings for food from the parent.

The only other way I can think to describe it is, have you ever had one of those squeek cow toys, where you turn it upside down and it makes a long mooo sound?

She's still eating, loving her peppers and lettuce. She's still munching on hay...I don't know what to think.

According to several similar threads I have read here, the sound your pig is making is pretty rare and is a good thing. Enjoy it!

Welcome to the wonderful world of having a true chirping pig.

True chirping is rare in pigs. Only a few actually do this. It sounds just like a bird when they chirp, it's loud and they are in a trance like state. It's unknown as to why they do it.

I have two myself although they rarely do it.

I've listened to sound clips of chirping and this sounds nothing like that. It's not a chirp chirp chirp sound, it's more of a meeeerrrrrrrp merrrrrp..a long drawn out sound, it's NOT a rumble, I've heard both my babies rumble before, it's not a wheeky wheeky like they're hungry.

The best way I can think is if you've ever heard the tribbles from Star Trek...or a door that neds oiling.

Sorry for going on about it but she's usually SO quiet, she's almost 3 and until the last year I honestly haven't heard much of a peep out of her.

What you are explaining sounds almost like one of my sows when she's in heat. That's the only time she'll make that sound. It is definitely different from their normal wheeking, it's a lot lower and longer.

Yey, Stephen sings too!!! Let'smake a choir!

Ok, she's been doing this all day, when she makes the sound she lifts her body up, she did it while I was holding her and I got 2 hard poopies, and she hasn't been interested in eating the past several hours, not even things she would normally almost take your finger off for (corn, yelloow pepper, melon). I've started hand feeding, I mixed a slurry of pellets and pedialite and got some of that into her and some plain pedialite, when I pick her up she doesn't run away like normally, she just lays there and lets you pick her up. When she's back in her cage she gets under her towel and lays and makes little mewing noises.

I'm so afraid theres' something seriously wrong with her. She's about 2 and 1/2, never been bred,gets unlimited hay, and tons of fresh fruits and veggies every day. I have a male too and they're in a divided cage, they get the same food every day.

The only thing I've done differently the past few days I've been giving each a half a green bean every couple of days, I didn't want to give too much afraid it would make them gassy. I haven't fed green bean today and I do have some baby strength symethcone, but her tummy doesn't feel hard or distended. I'm wondering if maybe she's just trying to pass hard little poopies and not getting enough water lately, she seems to drink what she aways does but lately it's been cold and we've been running more heat which makes the air very dry.

And I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight for fear she won't be here in the morning. I plan on setting my alarm and getting up in 3-4 hours to give her more pedialite and more pellet mush.

I think it might be because she is close to a male , because they are in a divided cage, she can smell him and she might be in heat. Is she netured? I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
they've lived together like this all their lives, we got her when she was 3 months old and him at 3 weeks old, she's never done this before and he seems to know there's something wrong because he's very subdued, not pacing the divider and chewing on the cage and squeeking and rumble strutting at her like he normally does.

How long have they lived together in a divided cage for?

This may sound weird, but does it almost sound like a toy elephant? Or like a pig imitating an elephant. When my midnight was first getting sick, he would make that sort or noise and it was a cry of pain, I just didn't realise it right away. I would say that if you're concerned about her behaviour, take her to a cavy savy vet. You know your pig better than anyone else so if she's acting strange, there could be something wrong. I've caught illnesses early just by behavior and weight loss. The vet couldn't find anything wrong but gave antibiotics anyway. I was right and the pig got better.

Since December of 07, about 2 years. I got her in September of 07 she was 3 months, I got him in October 07 he was 3 weeks, we build the divided cage in December of 07. We'd planned to have 2 females in one big cage but when I got him home and was admiring him I noticed he had something a lil extra *ahem*, I'd had him all of 20 minutes and was totally in love with him so I kept him and the divided cage was the only option.

They love it, they sleep next to each other, bump noses through the grids. She's always been very shy and very quiet, she doesn't beg for food like he does, she loves to make tunnels through her hay and hide in them. She doesn't seem to like as much company as he does, he wants attention ALL the time, from her, from me and my boyfriend. Rarely does she make any noise, she's quite the lady piggie, quiet, soft spoken, reserved....

Yes that's what it sounds like, like one of those toys that makes a moo sound when you turn it over.

There's a vet 40 minutes from me who has a little experience with piggies but he's out of town until next week, the only one close to me I already called and he said up front he doesn't know much about them and refered me to the other guy.

Once everything opens tomorrow I'm going to get some liquid vitC and childrens ibuprophin, it's all I can think of besides the pedialite and pellet mush that I'm giving her now.

I don't know what tribbles sound like sorry but from the description you gave, it sounded like you had a chirping pig because you mentioned bird like sounds.

Pigs can sometimes make a high pitched sorta noise when they are in pain.

I've got an appointment for 4pm today for the vet, when I was holding early this morning giving her pedialite, the towel was pinkish when I put her back in her cage, I'm thinking UTI.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Oh my, poor thing. I'm sending you good toughts!

I'm just praying I caught it in time

I called the vet back, they bumped me up to 2:30 today, about 45 minutes from now.

Keep us posted! The poor little thing seems to be in a lot of pain. When you mentioned the trilling I thought she was just like Stephen who can actually sing like a bird and I got so happy, now I feel bad...
I hope it's not a big deal and that she can have a fast recovery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.