Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

timothy hay

Valerie B

Cavy Slave
I have been feeding the timothy hay from wal-mart, kaytee. It is a nice green color but I was wondering if anyone gets some at a bulk. I want a nice green color and I want to know if anyone has found some cheaper than what I am paying. I pay 3.00 for 24 oz.
i know about the oxbow hay but the only place I could find it is at a local pet store who can order it for me at 9 lbs. at 27.00 dollars. No way.
I checked all of the feed stores and no one near me can get timothy hay.
I f someone knows of a good site that would be great.
Valerie

Last edited:

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
I buy mine from (broken link removed) She is out of hay right now but her hay is the best I've seen. Shipping is high but when you add the cost of shipping and the hay and divide by pounds you come out a lot cheaper per pound of hay than for the KayT. And once you get her hay you'll never think KayT is good again. Another place is (broken link removed)

OH! I just saw your location! Another west Tennessee member! I buy km hay in bulk, it saves on shipping if you get over 200 pounds. Perhaps we can order in unison and meet up to pass off boxes of hay-when she gets more in...

Last edited by a moderator:

Valerie B

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I will keep chaecking back until they have some hay in.
Valerie

C&K

Cavy Slave
I have heard good and bad about americain pet dinner, another online retailer. I looked at Farmer Dave not that long ago, it seems his large timothy boxes where mixed with clover? Maybe they are not now.

You could try calling back to the feedstores, instead of calling about "timothy" hay, ask if they get any "grass hay" meadow, bluegrass, coastal, orchard, Bermuda, they are all as good as timothy. (some are just different names of eachother!)

kznchik

Cavy Slave
I'd recommend Oxbow hay over Kaytee anyday. I used to feed my two piggies Kaytee timothy hay until approximately a month ago when I discovered Oxbow at a local feed store. As soon as I grabbed a handful out of the bag, it was apparent that the hay was of exceptional quality; the strands of hay were longer, softer, and more fragrant than the dry, short, stale pieces you'd find in Kaytee brand timothies. After having exclusively Oxbow for the last month, they now stick their noses up at the mediocre Kaytee stuff. To top it off, I also read in the back of their package that they farm their hay organically.

I wanted to 'upgrade' to Kleenmama's but I hear they're out of hay until mid-July. In the meantime, definitely buy Oxbow online if you can't find find brick-and-mortar stores carrying smaller packaged quantities of the brand...it's well worth the quality and the excitement with which your pigs will react to eating it.

Valerie B

Cavy Slave
I will try on'line for Oxbow. I don't want to pay 30.00 for 9 lbs of hay. I wouldn't mind but I will bet it is cheaper else where.

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Are there any feed stores around? When I lived closer to horses, we used to go buy 'broken bales' of timothy at the local feedstore at a HUGE discount. We knew the days they'd get shipments in, so we'd arrive with a truck full of barrels, and as they'd pull the bales out, if any were broken open (which, we never went there on a day they *didn't* have broken bales in the shipment) they'd just toss them in our barrels. Bales were normally $15-20 per ~50lb bale, but for the broken ones they'd only charge $5. The quality was exellent, fresh off the farm, and I got to take as much as I wanted home for free.

It might be something to look into. ONE of these weekends I'm going to run over to the feed store I saw a few miles from my new place, to see if I can get a similar deal, myself.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Valerie,
I am down in Savannah and use a local hay that my daughter feeds her horses. it is coastal bermuda. Call back to the feedstores and see what your local hay is. It is probably just fine to use. Call and then post here what they have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.