Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thinking of Neutering

• Thread starter sophistic_chick
  • Start date

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I am seriously considering neutering my boar. He is 10 months old and I feel evil :sad: for not having a buddy for him. I would like to neuter to help prevent any unwanted babies [if I was to adpot a female] and prevent impaction in the future. I know neutering does not change behaviour in males if they are fighting.

Anyone care to share neutering stores/experiences? Thank you so much.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I am seriously considering neutering my boar. He is 10 months old and I feel evil :sad: for not having a buddy for him. I would like to neuter to help prevent any unwanted babies [if I was to adpot a female] and prevent impaction in the future. I know neutering does not change behaviour in males if they are fighting.

Anyone care to share neutering stores/experiences? Thank you so much.

Why not adopt a baby male? It's easier (and cheaper) than neutering.

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of doing that but I do want to help prevent impaction which can occur in older males. I'm kinda kicking around some ideas before I decide what I am going to do. Thank you for your imput!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I think you ought to try getting another boar first. The reason many people neuter is because they already have the girls. Seems easier to try adopting a boar first, but I don't think neutering would be a big deal either if that's what you ultimately decided. There are risks with any surgery, but I don't think they are that high with neutering. I had a wonderfully positive experience with it myself. It was not more than $150 dollars, the procedure was very smooth, the boy was himself within hours, and he was happy to have girlfriends to harass. But I have heard of others having complications like absesses and such.

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
Piggiemamakelly, thanks for your words. Now I am thinking I need to find me a baby boar. I think that may be harder than I think the local SPCA doesn't get too many GP's on a regular basis. I don't suppose anyone knows of a GP rescue in the Halifax, NS region. I've checked out petfinder but no listings in Halifax.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.