Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior The pigs are barricading their hideout with hay

Piggiesforlife

Cavy Slave
So, over the last few weeks, my guinea pigs have been pulling hay out of their hay rack and stuffing it into their hidey, essentially barricading it. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I can. There are a few reasons I think they might be doing so, but I thought I should get some advice.

1. They could be cold, with winter coming and living in Canada and all. However, my room is pretty warm and they have a fleece bed and hanging hidey as well as lots of fluff bedding.
  2. Maybe they're scared? We're redoing the basement and the workmen with their (very loud) power tools could have freaked them out. My avid watching of Stranger Things probably isn't helping matters, even though I keep the volume very low (1-4 volume points, but 2 or 3 usually).
  3. The hay rack could just be very loose and the hay is simply spilling out of it. I find that unlikely, though.
  4. Maybe they're just doing it for fun. Who knows?

So, does anybody else know why they might be doing this? If so, please, please enlighten me.
Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine rearrange hay all the time. I think it's just a guinea pig thing.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One of my boars, Punkin, absolutely despises a tidy pile of hay. Every time, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME I pile the hay back up in the corner, in less than a minute he dives into it and spreads it everywhere.

Here's what I mean:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.