Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Summer Time Heat

lottiecarter0

Cavy Gazer
So, our house gets really hot in the summer, and although we have fans running it's still pretty hot where the pigs are. Last year, our guinea pigs lived outside because it was cooler. Later, I read that wasn't the best idea. Instead of putting them outside, how can I avoid them getting overheated? How do I keep the cage cool? I refill the water to make sure it's cool, but is there anything else?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I would recommend feeding cold watery veggies such as cucumbers on very hot days. Many owners have had success with placing a small cold piece of granite in the cage that the pigs can lay on when they get to hot. I would remove any hot fleece cozies and replace them with plastic or wooden huts to reduce the heat in the cage. Good look and stay cool!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cold watery veggies will keep them hydrated, but won't do anything to control the temperature. You can have a fan that circulates air in the room, and wrap frozen containers of water in fleece and put them in the cage.

How hot does it get in their room? Anything above 85 degrees can be fatal.

lottiecarter0

Cavy Gazer
Cold watery veggies will keep them hydrated, but won't do anything to control the temperature. You can have a fan that circulates air in the room, and wrap frozen containers of water in fleece and put them in the cage.

How hot does it get in their room? Anything above 85 degrees can be fatal.
I think it gets 70-75....

Also on an unrelated subject my oldest pig, 2, after I fed her veggies hacked a little. And she then continued eating and drinking and she's walking around but every now and then she hacks a little. At least it sounds like a hack. And after she does it she cleans herself off and then doesn't do it for awhile....is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably. Especially if she does it while or just after eating.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.