Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Suggested Care List Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
*repeats bumping*

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
It may be too late for this, but i can be pretty literal, and a stickler for details. i worry about the phrase "complete" care list. i'm sure you realize that it is simply not possible to have the 100% complete list. changes always happen, and someone always has an alternative idea or supply. perhaps something along the lines of a new to guinea pig supply list? i don't want to make suggestions, since it's your thread. i'm just fussing over the idea of a "complete" list.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Thanks @jacqueline! I was just thinking about that! :) I wonder if a mod or Paula can change the title... Hmmmm. I will try to look into that. But I do agree, it can never be really "complete".

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I've been trialing natural clay Kitty litter for my kitchen area. I really like this because it seems to contain the pee soaking it into neat rounds that can be so easily scooped out. Perhaps for the alternatives for the bedding list you could put Bedding Options to Consider and pop the list under that?

Also I don't see q-tips in your list for butt cleaning? They are also handy for dislodging bits of food that get stuck between top teeth or treating cracked lips.

How about Comprehensive? It is a good check list... Ask Teresa about the name change.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Paper towels / wipes for cleaning cage

Air-tight container for pellets

Optional:

Uhual pads for liners
Lap time pads
cozies, cuddle cups, etc.

The list seems to be endless :p

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
Small soft baby hair brush
squeaky clean small pet shampoo or other guinea pig Friendly shampoo
Neosporin is helpful to have on hand

PLEASE :) under health "locate an Exoctic Vet that cares for Guineas" I know it is not somthing you purchase, but with new owners and new pets having a cavy savy vet lined up from the start is priceless

Small tub for bathtime is helpful
Elevator box :)

Benja

Cavy Slave
This is wonderful! Thank you for putting this together! I am prepping to get a cavy and this is worth bundles! :)

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Oh, geez! I forgot about this thread! Whoops! I will add those in a day or two... Life has been pretty hectic lately... @Paula, is there any way to change the name of this thread? I don't want to mislead people into thinking that this is everything! I realize now that this is a majority ofthe big stuff, but it'll never be 100% complete...

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Thanks @Paula! It's not misleading anymore! :D Would you mind changing the name to Comprehensive Care List if it's not a big deal? I would really appreciate it!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Comprehensive is the same as complete - this list is neither, as you realized when you asked me to remove "complete" from the title. I can change it to "Growing Care List" or something like that. Let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
You might also want to include bedding options other than fleece. Like aspen or Carefresh.

Elthysia

Cavy Slave
Medical stuff like:

mite treatment (invermectin)
anti fungal topical or shampoo (see guinealinx)
probiotics
Chewable vitamin c tablets
1cc needle less syringes for hand feeding
critical care or critter be better

a calendar to keep weights noted may be handier than a notebook as you can put expiration dates of the above things on it

Ps it may help to add sizes with the food I.e: 1/8 cup a day pellets, unlimited hay (80% of diet) and a cup of fresh veg per pig

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
So, here's a concern I have. This list grows, mostly because each piggie person has their own list of "must-haves" which can be very different and unique.to that extent, this list will continue to grow and grow, without end. Perhaps you could narrow it and keep the focus on particular categories. Just to give you an idea what i'm thinking, I'll suggest an example: "what you need to have before you bring your new piggie home"; "what you may need to have on hand as your pig ages", etc. It seems a little overwhelming, but the longer the list gets, especially with so many alternative ideas (i.e. bedding) it may be too long to be helpful, especially for Newbies

Just a thought

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
OK @Paula... What about "Basic Supply List" or "Starter Care List"? Those could be good too....

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
So, here's a concern I have. This list grows, mostly because each piggie person has their own list of "must-haves" which can be very different and unique.to that extent, this list will continue to grow and grow, without end. Perhaps you could narrow it and keep the focus on particular categories. Just to give you an idea what i'm thinking, I'll suggest an example: "what you need to have before you bring your new piggie home"; "what you may need to have on hand as your pig ages", etc. It seems a little overwhelming, but the longer the list gets, especially with so many alternative ideas (i.e. bedding) it may be too long to be helpful, especially for Newbies

Just a thought
Supposing people even bother reading through the whole thing, yes, I suppose it could be overwhelming. Your suggestions are fine, as far as categories, but what's "needed" for every pig owner is highly subjective. Uhaul pads are not a necessity. A water bottle of some sort might be, but the TYPE is entirely up to the owner. I prefer glass bottles. I wouldn't suggest that glass bottles are a necessity for guinea pig owners. This isn't a sticky thread - it's just a thread started by someone who means well and has been added to by other folks. It's not something being endorsed by the forum, it's just a running conversation. A detailed list of medical supplies suggested to have on hand is here. Beyond that, this nitpicking at this thread and what it should be called is getting a bit out of hand. It's just something someone started as a nice idea for making a list for new owners to reference. No more, therefore no arguing over what it should be called is necessary. It's not meant to be the end-all, be-all comprehensive list of any and everything you could ever need or want or should have if you own guinea pigs. If it was intended to be that, I'm sorry, it isn't and I don't see any realistic way that it could ever be.

I've changed the title for the last time, to Suggested Care List Items. I won't change it again, nor will I entertain suggestions to change it again. If it continues on and becomes a bigger argument, I'll shut it down altogether and remove it from public view completely.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have a question about the shampoo, I noticed you added not to use cat and dog shampoo. I got mine from my cavy savy vet, it's a shampoo designed for cats and dogs, and it works beautifully on the pigs. Izzy has a dry skin problem, and after using this shampoo a few times it's cleared up and is FAR better. I think it depends on the shampoo. I would never use something like "Pet Head" on a guinea pig. but I think this shampoo is okay. My vet said an animal shampoo is better then baby shampoo, and I would never use dish soap on felix's grease gland. His is very sensitive. I think it depends more on the guinea pig and the quality of shampoo!

I'm not sure if we have wood chews on the list, but my pigs REALLY like those! And I grow my own wheat grass :) Maybe we could add that? My pigs love it, and it's very healthy for them. I'm going to be writing an article on how I did it and what works etc because I did a lot of experiments and 'tests' to see what grows best :)

Benja

Cavy Slave
Supposing people even bother reading through the whole thing, yes, I suppose it could be overwhelming. Your suggestions are fine, as far as categories, but what's "needed" for every pig owner is highly subjective. Uhaul pads are not a necessity. A water bottle of some sort might be, but the TYPE is entirely up to the owner. I prefer glass bottles. I wouldn't suggest that glass bottles are a necessity for guinea pig owners. This isn't a sticky thread - it's just a thread started by someone who means well and has been added to by other folks. It's not something being endorsed by the forum, it's just a running conversation. A detailed list of medical supplies suggested to have on hand is here. Beyond that, this nitpicking at this thread and what it should be called is getting a bit out of hand. It's just something someone started as a nice idea for making a list for new owners to reference. No more, therefore no arguing over what it should be called is necessary. It's not meant to be the end-all, be-all comprehensive list of any and everything you could ever need or want or should have if you own guinea pigs. If it was intended to be that, I'm sorry, it isn't and I don't see any realistic way that it could ever be.

I've changed the title for the last time, to Suggested Care List Items. I won't change it again, nor will I entertain suggestions to change it again. If it continues on and becomes a bigger argument, I'll shut it down altogether and remove it from public view completely.

I sincerely hope that you do not shut it down. I know that I am extremely thankful for this list and refer to it often. Yes, it CAN be a little overwhelming, but I learned SO much and it is interesting o hear other people's view on what is needed. It IS subjective to each owner. For me, I see what everyone suggests and then I weed out what I feel I would want or not want. But I can understand how frustrating it is when people tell you what you should or should not do with the list.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
@Paula- my apologies if you found my post inappropriate. it was not intended to be argumentative. i myself have ha some difficulty wrapping my mind around what this thread was, or what it was intended to be. i can only speak for myself in saying that all my responses were to tweak a list that seemed like it was intended to be a "permanent" reference link here. if this is a conversation, like all other posts are, it changes the game. again, my apologies for having misunderstood.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a question about the shampoo, I noticed you added not to use cat and dog shampoo. I got mine from my cavy savy vet, it's a shampoo designed for cats and dogs, and it works beautifully on the pigs. Izzy has a dry skin problem, and after using this shampoo a few times it's cleared up and is FAR better. I think it depends on the shampoo. I would never use something like "Pet Head" on a guinea pig. but I think this shampoo is okay. My vet said an animal shampoo is better then baby shampoo, and I would never use dish soap on felix's grease gland. His is very sensitive. I think it depends more on the guinea pig and the quality of shampoo!

I'm not sure if we have wood chews on the list, but my pigs REALLY like those! And I grow my own wheat grass :) Maybe we could add that? My pigs love it, and it's very healthy for them. I'm going to be writing an article on how I did it and what works etc because I did a lot of experiments and 'tests' to see what grows best :)

You shouldn't be bathing any animal that has dry skin. The bathing process removes the natural skin oils that is used to keep the skin healthy.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
i myself have ha some difficulty wrapping my mind around what this thread was, or what it was intended to be. i can only speak for myself in saying that all my responses were to tweak a list that seemed like it was intended to be a "permanent" reference link here. if this is a conversation, like all other posts are, it changes the game. again, my apologies for having misunderstood.
To be clear. This was started by a member here, said member being a teenager who is obviously trying to be helpful. Fine. It is not a permanent "sticky" thread, nor do I see any qualification to elevate it to such. It started out as a single person's idea to have a list of things that might be necessary for cavy ownership. It's a decent idea, and it's fine for people to add their opinions and what they consider to be "must haves" as time goes on. That's fine, I don't have any problem with that. But that means it is a discussion - not a comprehensive list of all the things you must have to qualify you as a suitable guinea pig owner. I don't see how it can be confused as anything other, but my perspective is obviously different, so I am going to clarify now.

This is a discussion thread started by a member, like any other. It is not anything the GPC management is endorsing or suggesting. As far as I'm able to tell, it was not started with either the consent or even knowledge of any administrator or moderator here. I see no implication that it was; hence, I don't understand why one would confuse it for something that was. It is meant to be helpful, and whether or not it was meant to be a definitive or comprehensive list on any and all things you could ever need or want in regard to your ownership of guinea pigs, it is not.

It's a discussion

What works for you, what works for me, that kind of thing. No more, no less. Treating it as anything other than that is a disservice to yourself, and this discussion on what it should be called is, therefore, silly. Had I bothered to read it rather than just addressing the request to change the title, I'd have addressed that earlier. My bad. It never occurred to me that anyone would perceive this as anything other than a discussion thread started by a single member with the intention of having other members contribute, and, well, discuss. As far as I'm concerned, that is the end of the discussion and you can carry on DISCUSSING the topic of this thread, hopefully without issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.