Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Strings or no strings?

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
When feeding celery, do you take out the strings or no? I was *always* told to take the strings out because it's an obstruction hazard but I recently joined a new FB group and it seems everyone there is on the same boat. Do not mention removing strings or you die LOL. They feel quite strongly about this. I see our nutrition chart says to take the strings out, but I was wondering on what everyone else thinks.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
I was just reading that "debate" on Facebook. My girls don't seem to like celery except for the leafy greens on top, so I haven't really had to deal with this yet. I am curious what everyone else has to say. My Julia seems to eat crazy fast and choke on a LOT of her food, so anything I can do to make their food less of a choking hazard is a good thing.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
I was just reading that "debate" on Facebook. My girls don't seem to like celery except for the leafy greens on top, so I haven't really had to deal with this yet. I am curious what everyone else has to say. My Julia seems to eat crazy fast and choke on a LOT of her food, so anything I can do to make their food less of a choking hazard is a good thing.

I have the same problem with Pudge...Chubby little thing will inhale anything she eats. I really don't understand what the big fuss is about to be honest. People can get so uptight and offended about a simple suggestion. I don't get how taking an extra minute or so to take the strings out is such a big deal. Are our pigs really that much of an inconvenience that something that only takes two minutes and could possibly prevent death is too time consuming? I swear lol

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
How are you suppose to take the strings out? There's like a billion!! lol I always cut their celery up in tiny peices so they won't choke, but what is the "proper" way to prepare celery? They've been fine so far, but I don't give them celery that often.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Truthfully both my rabbits and pigs have ate non- destringed celery for their whole lives. So I think its your preference.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't take the strings off mine. I've never heard of a verified story of a guinea pig that had problems with strings, and they've got razor knives for teeth. But I do cut it either in thin strips, or crosswise into inch-long chunks. That's more to give both an even chance to get some than because I worry about the strings, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.