Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Stinky!

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
If there anything i can put under the fleece or around the cage to make it smell less?:yuck: baking soda? i don't really know but it gets stinky fast ! thank you lol

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Do you have towels or U-Haul blankets under your fleece? Most cages that use fleece and have the necessary absorbent material under them don't smell unless they aren't cleaned enough. I use fleece in most of my cage, but bedding in some other places. I can't even smell the cage at all, even by the end of the week just before it gets clean, unless I put my nose right up to it. (Though I don't know why I would do that :D)

pinky

Cavy Slave
How large is your cage and how often do you change the bedding? I've found that different guinea pigs leave different odors in the cage... possibly due to scent marking... and might require more frequent washing. My fleece pads have uhaul pads in the middle and I use a single layer of uhaul pads underneath. I rarely ever go past 3 days before I change my fleece. They live in my dining room so I'm very particular about any odor. I have one cage that needs to be changed more often than my others. I make sure I always use the large load and heavy duty cycle when I wash and add one cup of vinegar and my regular laundry detergent. I loosely load the washer, don't overfill. You can stop the cycle and allow it to soak. My fleece pads always come out smelling fresh and clean, with no odor. I dry on the high/cotton setting.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
i use puppy pads under the fleece and towels under the puppy pads. WHen i don't use the dryer sheets i find the blankets get full of static and it shocks the piggies when they go through their fleece tunnel! what do i do?

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I air dry my fleece. Pop it over a rack or strewn between a couple of coathangers. It prevents the static and I swear it makes it carry away the moisture better as it's not super fuzzy, it's a bit stiffer

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Cage size and amount of pig will definitely determine how fast the fleece smells. If you have room for a kitchen area that will also be helpful. I would definitely put the towels under the fleece and then maybe the puppy pads under the towels. Unfortunately, dryer sheets keep the fleece from wicking properly (probably adding to the stink)...Adding vinegar to the rinse cycle will help with the static and some people use those natural dryer balls that do not contain a fabric softener and have found them helpful. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.