Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stinks!

chexxy

Cavy Slave
I have been using fleece for a about a day now. Wahsed 3 times and has a matress pad underneath. It kind of smells though. And the poops get mashed to the fleece and make it smell too. I vacume atleast one a day, and I dont know what I am doing wrong. Any tips :confused:

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Is the mattress pad designed for absorbing urine? The only thing I can think of is that its not absorbant enough.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
Chexxy I use fleece too and I hate using it. As soon as I can use bedding I am going to!

Fleece is unsightly and starts to smell a lot quicker than bedding does. Especially if you didn't have a chance to vaccuum it out one day.

It is cheap though.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
Fleece is unsightly and starts to smell a lot quicker than bedding does. Especially if you didn't have a chance to vaccuum it out one day.

I thought it was the exact opposite. Maybe it's not absorbing properly for you?

mizzcat

Cavy Slave
I use a plastic toy shovel to clean up the poop. And my fleece doesn't really smell either.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Is the poop getting mashed because the pigs are stepping on it or because they aren't drying out. If it's because they aren't drying out, I would check the absorbency of the mattress pad you are using.

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
Wow I am suprised I have heard nothing but great things about fleece and started using it myself and absolutely love it. Have you tried putting towels under the mattress pad? For more absorbency maybe. Also is the kitchen area seperate from the rest of the area? I found that when I made a coroplast box , that I put bedding in , for the area where the hay , water bottle and food is the poops arent as bad on the rest of the fleece. It also seems that since the box has there food and water that is where they pee and poop mostly so cuts down on the squished poop on the fleece.

Hope you can get it to work.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Ok, It is better now! I dont know why, maybe it smelt form floor time, but later on it went away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.