Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Standlee Hay Quality?

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
Has anyone here ordered 10lbs or more of hay from Standlee Hay Company?
If so, what was the quality? I am curious because I have seen it for a good price with free shipping.

Living in a city house with no storage, I can't buy hay by the bale to save money. Currently I am purchasing Oxbow from my local pet store / rescue. I am just looking around for ways to save money, but I don't want to cheap out on quality!

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
Hello, I ordered it once. At first I thought it was good. It was green and smelled good. But, I noticed there were a lot of stems leftover and my piggies wouldn't eat it. I did some research and decided to try Small Pet Select. I really like the quality of hay. There are some stems, but not as much as the Standlee. They also have a 3rd cut available right now which is softer and virtually stem free (I haven't ordered it yet, so I don't know what the piggies would think). I have been ordering directly from them hay and pellets. Which are great quality and they are very nice to deal with. The shipping takes awhile (ground), but I just have to figure out to order before there is a big need.

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
I was looking at small pet select as well! it looks like good stuff... not sure ill be able to get it while happycavy is ordering free shipping though so we will see

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
Once you get on their email list, they send different codes all of the time for free shipping. I think Happy Cavy offers the free shipping all of the time too (looks like an affiliate). If you are an Amazon Prime member, they sell the Small Pet Select too. That's how I first bought it, but then started going through them directly. It ships faster from Amazon though - if you buy on your Prime account.

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
Oh and my piggies :love::love::love: The Timothy hay pellets that come from small pet select. I was surprised how much they love them after switching from a brand that really wasn't good for them (I didn't know when I first bought them).

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
Oh that's great! Thank you for the tip!

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
** BTW .. How do you store it? Do you just keep the hay in the box that it comes in, or do you use a hamper or something?

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
I just keep it in the box that it comes it. I have my cage up on a small table, the box just fits right under there.

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
i have bought 2 decent size timothy bales that standlee sells from my local feed store and the first has been great...my buns and pigs love it. i cant comment on the second bale as i have yet to cut the straps but as it is it looks just like the bale i'm using now. these bales probably weigh about 40/50 pounds

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
i can only really store like 5-20lbs at a time... and from some reviews it seems like the quality varies greatly from box to box with these small orders

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.