Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Soup?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have been vegitarian now for exactly three months. I have not touched meat or fish since.

I know most soups are made with a chicken broth, and I love soup. I was wondering if anybody knew of good soup made with a non-meat broth? Do they even make it?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I think all the cream soups (with the notable exception of cream of chicken of course) are vegitarian. But not vegan. I will only eat cream soup. I love cream of mushroom, but I eat alot of cream on brocolli now as I have to eat more brocolli.

I could never go vegan. Ther are so many things I will not eat without cheese :(

dona83

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I know most soups are made with a chicken broth, and I love soup. I was wondering if anybody knew of good soup made with a non-meat broth? Do they even make it?

Sometimes I'll make soup broth on my own using vegetable boullions as a base. Tastes pretty good, I also managed to make a vegetarian pho (vietnamese beef noodle soup) that almost tastes like the real beef broth counterpart... and it's vegan too. You can make good gravies out of them too.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Congratulations slap, that's brilliant. I just buy fresh soup from the supermarket (not that instant crap you get in a sachet) and it has no chicken broth in it.

bromers

Cavy Slave
I just make my soup by hand its not hard. (broken link removed) do a serch and you will find realy good vegitarian soups on here. Well done on your 3 month non meat eating time.

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
There is alot you can do, my favorite soup is,

half pot of water with onions, garlic, lime squeezed for flavor. then add every vegetable under the sink. LOL thats what my husband says. I add Carrots, potatoes, corn, squashm chayotes, which is like squash aliitle bit of cilantro. it is really good, I add salt for flavor and then I heat up tortiallas and eat that on the side to dip in the broth. When I put the soup in the bowl I add lime.

You should give it a try,
also here is a great website, it has veggie soups.

(broken link removed)

this site is actually like the one listed in the last post

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That soup sounds yummy - I love soft french bread dipped in soupl

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
My FAVORITE soup is french onion with the stale bread and cheese on top- amazing stuff.

I also like vegetable and ministrone.

kristin25

Cavy Slave
Have you ever tried miso soup? It's a japanese broth. Add thin noodles and frozen green peas. That's my favourite twist to it.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Sabriel, cream soups are ofen made with chicken stock, even though one might not initially think so. Whenever I go out to eat and a soup appears it may be vegetarian I always ask what stock they used. On many occassions they have said vegetable stock. You can buy vegetable broth stock in both cube and liquid form to make your own soups. I live in the city where a lot of restaurants have vegetarian options which might explain why I get good luck in the restaurants. Slap_maxwell, I would be careful about the french onion soup. I always believed that that was not vegetarian because of stock (served in restuarants).

Miso soup is a very very good option. Be careful of egg drop however which can be made with chickon stock as well. I love it when they make vegetable soup with beef stock, I find it funny. Minestrone more often than not IS vegetarian, dont' usually use meat stock.

If you like cream soup, buy the campbell's cream of broccoli, cream of etc, you can add milk (if you drink milk) and that's vegetarian, I am pretty sure. They are as good as the stuff in restaurants!

Also, if you don't drink milk, my favorite soups have coconut milk in them. yum.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
kalrik said:
Slap_maxwell, I would be careful about the french onion soup. I always believed that that was not vegetarian because of stock (served in restuarants).

I havn't had any since becomeing vegitarian, but thank you for the warning.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I checked the label before posting. Campbell's is vegitarian, but not vegan.

Miso soup and cucumber sushi is one of my favourite meals. I have a good miso soup recipe kicking around here somewhere.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Occasionally, I make my own French Onion soup, and I've never found a recipe that doesn't start with beef stock. Being that I'm not a vegetarian, that's not a problem for me, but it could certainly be an issue. If you cook a lot, there are some packaged vegetable broths out there that are quite tasty. Personally, I prefer the ones that come in cardboard packages with a plastic flip top, and I recommend the ones that are low sodium. If you're making veggie French Onion, you might also want to roast some root vegetables in the oven and put them in the soup. They will deepen the flavor of the stock. Portabello mushrooms are especially good for this. Feel free to PM me if you want any other recipe ideas.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but cooking and brainstorming recipes is my other passion along with my piggy.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
That's a great idea, we have sooo many mushrooms in this house.

Yes I was pretty sure campbell's was vegetarian but not vegan. Cream soups are not vegan anywhere. Campbell's also makes a lot of vegan soups like split pea and the vegetable ones (be careful not to get the beef stock vegetable soup but it says it right on the front label) as well as the tomato, and tomato rice.

Ramen is also very good but some are made with chicken stock in the powder broth they give you. I love oriental and mushroom.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I keep all my veggie ends (the ones the pigs don't get) in a bag in the fridge and once a week boil them up with some water and a little olive oli and a load of herbs. Leave to fester for an hour or so, then strain through a colander. I them boil seven bells out of it to concentrate it down, and freeze it in small amounts as an alternative (and low salt) alternative to shop veggie stock. Most of the vitamins will be dead, but as the soup is usually packed with fresh veggies I don't worry too much - it is mostly for flavour.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
I really like soup too but I was wondering about that and Congrads on your 3 months without meat!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Almost any soup can be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth. You can make it from scratch. Here is a link to a recipe (broken link removed)

erikasdeli_1849_3560838

Last edited:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you're wondering about store-bought soups, there is a black bean soup, the "cram" soups as mentioned above, and I've also found a veggie broth. Campbell's has several selections for vegetarians, although not too many were in my grocery store. I've found a vegetarian alphabet soup that wasn't bad. There are plenty of recipes for veg-friendly soups; just google it and I'm sure you'll find tons!

elspeth

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I have been vegitarian now for exactly three months. I have not touched meat or fish since.

I make loads of soups because they are so easy to make and can last you for days. I got mine from a recipe book & the three I make regularly are made with vegetable stock. I'd say get a veggie cook book as they always have lots of soup ideas & make something from there. My faves are carrot & orange, mushroom & tomato and are all quick to make.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
For the brits out there - Marks & Spencers do wonderfull fresh soups. They are SO yummy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.