Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Skunky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
It could be from the bedding, but your mom does not know. She isn't a vet.

I'm just saying, hermie...you cannot be too careful.

You really should take this piggy to a vet. Take BOTH to the vet.

Pronto.

I know. My mom doesn't understand that. I told her a bunch of times. She said that Pretzel is OK because he doesn't have anymore symptoms. Hoepfully if any of them are sick, Pretzel will sneeze after the bedding is changed.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Well I just hope those pigs get the medical care they seriously need. I have a feeling that landhermie won't be returning after flouncing and telling everyone on this site to "go die" in chat. :rolleyes:

Terekins

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry everyone is being so rough with you. They just really care about animals and want you to do the right thing for them. It's obvious you're smart and caring, and are trying to do the best you can :)
Tere

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Well I just hope those pigs get the medical care they seriously need. I have a feeling that landhermie won't be returning after flouncing and telling everyone on this site to "go die" in chat. :rolleyes:

They'll be getting veterinary care when my mom gets money. It shouldn't be too long now. The tax papers were supposed to come today, but they didn't. After they come, she just has to get everything printed out and sent in the mail.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Start saving up a vet fund now. You never know if there's an emergency and they need to see the vet right away. You need to have money set aside for the vet.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Start saving up a vet fund now. You never know if there's an emergency and they need to see the vet right away. You need to have money set aside for the vet.

Ooh, you're right. I'll start doing that. I already have some money to save for it :) .

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
It shouldn't be too long now.

Please both pigs to vet NOW, this is from GL

Untreated URIs are almost always fatal.
Allergies are very rare,
See a vet immediately if you see any of these signs. Because URIs are so deadly and fast moving, it is imperative that the vet rules out a URI before considering the possibility of an allergy.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
The problem is, my mom isn't too convinced they're sick :(. Pretzel started doing this right after I changed to pine bedding. I think it is too dusty for them, but I'm unsure. I honestly have no choice but to wait. I tried to do my best to convince my mom to take them, but she kept on complaining that she can't even afford her own medicine. She had offered to charge it if anything else was wrong, but I guess she lied. :( If the papers don't come in the mail in a day or two, I'll offer to pay as much as I can for it, and she'll have to pay the rest. I don't know if she'll be able to pay for the rest of it, though.

Also, for those who think I don't love my animals because I can't convince my mom to take them to the vet, I DO love them, but cannot do much more than to offer to pay for a bit of it. Remember, my MOM won't take them to the vet; NOT ME.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I don't think you or your mom are realizing how fatal a U.R.I. can be, and how fast and pig can die from one. Your pigs need vet care, if they can not have vet care in an emergency then I think you need to find them a new home that will give it to them or a rescue that will treat them.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I think my mom would charge vet care if she thought they were sick, but she isn't convinced. Not that I think they're healthy.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Did you show her this page or the one from GL?

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Not yet, but I am going to in a few minutes. I'll tell you what she says.
What? In chat when I asked you that you said

7:30 standuprookie: did you show her the part about uri
7:30 emoxrobot: if they cant get a vet let someone take them
7:30 landhermie: Yeah
7:30 landhermie: She said that they arent sick

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I told her that they don't get allergies often, and she said the regular "They sneeze for anything", "I don't have enough money for my own medicine", "I'll change the bedding tomorrow", "They'll see the vet in a couple weeks", etc. :weepy: She also said she had read about it. I hope if they're sick, they'll keep sneezing.

I double-posted because I was unable to edit my post.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Does the pig have other symptoms? Runny nose? Crusty eyes? Lethargy? If you put your ear to the pig does the breathing sound "noisy"?

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Does the pig have other symptoms? Runny nose? Crusty eyes? Lethargy? If you put your ear to the pig does the breathing sound "noisy"?

He doesn't have any other symptoms. I cannot tell if he is noisy or not, because he is making his happy sounds.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Sounds like it could very well be the bedding. If you aren't able to take him to the vet right away watch VERY VERY closely for any other abnormalities.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Sounds like it could very well be the bedding. If you aren't able to take him to the vet right away watch VERY VERY closely for any other abnormalities.

They are both sneezing O.O. I hope it stops when the bedding gets changed, but they sneeze outside of the cage. Is 6 times a lot to sneeze? Does it really make a difference if they sneeze outside of the cage if it's the bedding? My mom said the bedding was dusty.

Last edited:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
This problem with sneezing has been ongoing for FIVE DAYS. Your mom thinks that the sneezing is related to dusty bedding. Have you changed the bedding yet?

No one on here can look into a crystal ball and say for certain, "Yes, your guinea pig is sneezing due to dusty bedding. Change it and all will be well."

People have been advising you for FIVE DAYS now to take your guinea pigs to the vet. For FIVE DAYS, people have been talking to you about the dangers of URIs in pigs. And for FIVE DAYS, you have apparently not even changed your pigs' bedding to discover whether or not that is the source of the problem.

So ... you have a couple of options. You can either a) change the pigs' bedding and see if that eliminates the sneezing; b) you can take your pigs to the vet as advised; or c) you can do nothing and keep posting, asking us to diagnose your pigs.

What do you think the best option is?

Status
Not open for further replies.