Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Sisters suddenly fighting

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
The 2 sisters I recently adopted seem to be extra cranky now. I can handle that, but today seems to be brawling day. Could it be that they are in heat and just tick each other off? This was chattering and nosing off and trying to leap at each others faces. Anyone have 2 same aged sows that do this and then go back to being fine? My older possibly pregnant sow just goes to the loft to gorge herself on hay while they fight, then goes back down for a nap when they finish up lol. Now they are sleeping next to each other (but not snuggling) like nothing happened.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
They could be in heat. That's always a possibility. How big is the cage you have them in? Not having enough room can also be a point of contention between pigs.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
The 3 of them are in a 2x6.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Chatting and doing the "who can put their nose higher?" contests sound perfectly normal. What you can take comfort in is that they are sleeping next to each other peacefully. If there truly was intolerance of each other, they would definitely not be sleeping anywhere near each other.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
If they pull each others hair out like this every few weeks I'm going to pull MY hair out! Holy stress! I had gotten used to their little dominance games, they bicker and squabble at each other on a daily basis lol. It was the severe teeth chattering and hair pulling that threw me for a loop. I'm pretty sure that they bumped faces a few times as each seems to have the tiniest scratches on their noses. (nothing like bites, I saw those with my boars fighting for real and these are very minor). Still, seeing any blood at all gives me flashbacks from the failed boar intros and makes me nervous.

I really really hope they just get really grumpy for a couple days then move on. Maybe when Noodles finally can get in there with them they will chase him instead of each other :D

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the Guineapig world! Captain Noodles should be laying down the law.....

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I'm really hoping he will. I guess in a month or so we will find out. Everyone else seems so wishy washy about dominance so I think he should step up and take over lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.