Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Sick Noise? Chattering? Happy?

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
My two year old guinea pig is makig a noise I have never heard her make before. It sounds like some odd mixture of teeth grinding, mini-fireworks, and happy rumbling. I can't tell if this is a happy noise, an angry noise, or if she is ill or has something stuck in her nose or throat. I heard her make this noise about 15 minutes ago and she has been consistently making it since I first heard it.

While making the noise she has cuddled and settled down, has been picked up and held and petted by me, has explored her cage, eaten, and drank from her bottle. She seems active and healthy, but I know this can be deceiving with guinea pigs. She has a cage mate and her cage mate is very active and healthy and isn't making any noises.

I am going to attach three videos of the noise she is making (I'm having computer problems, so it might be a little while before I can post them). Does anyone know what this noise could mean?

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
I have created a YouTube video of the noises she was making. She is no longer making these noises, but I would still like to hear what people think these noises might mean.

Here is the YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/-rFVTGFasK4

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have no idea Part of it sounds like she's just chewing, but I don't know what the knocking noises are.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
I have no idea Part of it sounds like she's just chewing, but I don't know what the knocking noises are.

Yeah it was such a strange noise that it worried me and I wanted to ask about it. I have never heard her make this noise before and she isn't making it anymore either. It kind of sounded like chewing or grinding her teeth, but she wasn't always chewing something when she made the noise. It also sounded like an odd rumble. It went on for quite some time last night but hasn't carried into today, so I also find that odd.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My boar Sly does that when he has something in his throat. A good cough clears it. He tends to hoot as well when this happens. The first time I caught him doing it he went straight to the vet because I thought it was the start of a URI.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
My boar Sly does that when he has something in his throat. A good cough clears it. He tends to hoot as well when this happens. The first time I caught him doing it he went straight to the vet because I thought it was the start of a URI.

This morning we heard her making a hooting noise for some time and then she did a big hacking cough to clear her throat (it was a "hack hack" kind of noise). And then a little bit later she made a smaller throat clearing noise. So it would make sense if she's having the same issue as your pig.

If she keeps needing to clear her throat might that mean that she's having chewing problems or eating problems? She seems to eat and drink well, but I wonder why she's having to clear her throat so much.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly started doing it when he was around two, and he just turned 5 in November so he's 5 1/2 now. The only thing I can say is the the hooting and hacking almost came to a complete halt after he had dental surgery December 22nd last year. He's barely done it since. I'm not saying that your pig has a dental problem, I'm just relating what has been happening to Sly.

Sly has always eaten and drank well, but he had gotten considerably slower at eating by last summer and I was alerted to a dental problem from another owner here on the forum who posted about losing a pig. Her post made me check Sly's teeth and sure enough he had the same issue. Your situation may be different, so you can always err on the side of caution and schedule a vet visit just to be sure.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Sly started doing it when he was around two, and he just turned 5 in November so he's 5 1/2 now. The only thing I can say is the the hooting and hacking almost came to a complete halt after he had dental surgery December 22nd last year. He's barely done it since. I'm not saying that your pig has a dental problem, I'm just relating what has been happening to Sly.

Sly has always eaten and drank well, but he had gotten considerably slower at eating by last summer and I was alerted to a dental problem from another owner here on the forum who posted about losing a pig. Her post made me check Sly's teeth and sure enough he had the same issue. Your situation may be different, so you can always err on the side of caution and schedule a vet visit just to be sure.

My guinea pig just turned two. Interesting. What kind of dental problems did Sly have?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How it actually started is unknown, and I've come to understand from other members here that it could have been a simple hay poke in the gums that caused him some discomfort and made him chew on one side of his mouth long enough to make his teeth grow wrong. Basically what happened is, his bottom molars instead of growing up, grew more inward than upward, eventually trapping his poor little tongue underneath his molars.

The tipoff was that his front incisors had become angled instead of the edges being straight across. It was caught in time to save him, but it was serious enough that his vet deemed immediate surgery was needed. His appointment was on a Thursday morning and his vet cleared his scheduled and did the procedure that very afternoon.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I've got a coughing, throat-clearing pig. No history of dental issues. Its like she eats too fast sometimes. Her incisors has always been perfect.
But I'm definitely going to add that to the list of things to check next vet visit. They generally do have a look but I'll make it a bit more of a focus.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Guinea Pig Papa!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You are more than welcome. I joined this forum looking for help for Sly when he had an eye problem, and I've found it invaluable. It has saved Sly's life, and the least I can do is share my experiences with others as they have shared theirs with me. I, and my herd, are eternally grateful for this place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.