Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Sewing tiips needed

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to sew an "envelope" to put my 2 layers of U Haul pads in so they last longer in the washer. I'm using an old bed sheet as the cover. The problem is that when I get to the last side, it seems the pads have bunched a little inside the "envelope". I pin it, I try so hard to keep everything straight and un-lumpy, but what a pain in the tookus! Any ideas to make this easier?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
For one of my cages I just folded the short sides of the fleece in a few inches so that they would hold my towels (or in your case the u-haul pad) in place and the towels wouldn't be sticking out tempting them to burrow in. All you need is fleece about 6-8" longer than your cage and fold it under 3-4" on either side and sew. Hope this helps!

brigita

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to sew an "envelope" to put my 2 layers of U Haul pads in so they last longer in the washer. I'm using an old bed sheet as the cover. The problem is that when I get to the last side, it seems the pads have bunched a little inside the "envelope". I pin it, I try so hard to keep everything straight and un-lumpy, but what a pain in the tookus! Any ideas to make this easier?
Did you measured envelope a bit larger then pad ? It must be a little larger then pad +seam allowance. Since the bulk of the pads, it must be extra room for that bulk.

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
You probably need to use a walking foot on the machine. My sewing machine won't sew through layers without it. Most sewing machines cone with one. If you don't have one you might check fabric stores.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Just had a thought - I could totally be off base here but the issue is just washing the Uhaul pads right? What if you put them in the envelope thing or just a duffle bag to wash/dry them and then just stack them under the fleece when you're actually using them?

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I think they'd still "lint" all over, whereas in a an envelope, the lint stays inside (and maybe still works at absorbing?).

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
@Petlovr

I have just had the same problem a bit today with my Litter Box liners........ However, I was able to straighten everything out.

Also, what is a walking foot?

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
A walking foot is a special foot that is mainly used in quilting (or sewing mulitple layers of fabric). it usually comes standard with most machines. It pushes layers under it without bunching or pushing it. It doesn't really look very different than the "regular" foot so you might want to check online to get an idea of what your looking for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.