Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss *savs* pigs

*savs*

Cavy Slave
Hello, yesterday one of my Guinea pigs died very suddenly (foster dog got him) and I’m worried about the other one. I got the Guinea pigs in 2020 and they were already bonded. I think they were bonded since they were very little or they were brothers. The dominant piggie just pasted and I’m not sure if I need to replace him. I know Guinea pigs are social animals and can die of loneliness. My mom says we’ll move him to my room since me and my friends are up there all the time. My dad says we can get him a new friend. My mom doesn’t want to because she says that the cycle will never end if we do. I’m very attached to my current Guinea pig, he’s so sweet loves attention and I’ve had him for years. My mom also really loves him too. I read that they are supposed to get to say goodbye but the dog grabbed him ran away with him, and we already buried him. I think we could bond a new guinea pig easily, but I’m not sure. Do I need to get another Guinea pig? Or is my attention enough? Keep in mind I have school and sports. I’m not sure what to do but hopefully you guys do. Any advice is appreciated.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Stick with your dad's opinion of getting another friend. Remind your mom that they are YOUR pigs so when you move out, she doesn't have to worry about them anymore. They will do a lot better w/ a friend, so if you have a rescue around that will let you do boar dating, start there. Before you do any of that tho, if the remaining pig is the one w/ feet issues, you need to get that fixed first and then get a new friend.

Pigs do grieve, some worse than others. I had a boy whose partner died and he acted like he couldn't care less. Another one had a complete shutdown and became extremely fearful.

You can hang out with him and give him attention for now. But human companionship is no replacement for another pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@savs, please stop making new threads with every post. Pick one thread for your pig, let me know what it is, and I'll give it an appropriate title.

It makes it very difficult for people to follow what's going on with your pigs when they have to jump around all over the forum to find the information.

*savs*

Cavy Slave
@savs, please stop making new threads with every post. Pick one thread for your pig, let me know what it is, and I'll give it an appropriate title.

It makes it very difficult for people to follow what's going on with your pigs when they have to jump around all over the forum to find the information.
I can’t figure out how to delete the other ones. If you can do that it would be great, thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I didn't ask you to delete them. You can't do that. I asked to pick the one you want for your pig thread and let me know,.

*savs*

Cavy Slave
I didn't ask you to delete them. You can't do that. I asked to pick the one you want for your pig thread and let me know,.
Oh well then this one please. Sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.