Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Sad news

Umleila

Cavy Slave
Hi

I have not posted on this site since we first got a pair of guinea pig brothers around October time.

I am now posting with the really sad news that one of them, dandelion, has died of a respiratory disease. The really sad part is we are away on holiday and the family that were looking after them has emailed to tell me :(

They feel awful but I'm sure they are not to blame as they are really kind and caring and also had very detailed instructions from us how to look after them. We moved the guinea pigs and all their stuff and cage over to their house so they weren't lonely and I know they were very well cared for.

I am now quite worried about the guinea pig that is left. I'm sure he will be so sad. He never even like to be separate from his brother at lap time or if we took him out for any other reason and left him alone in the cage.

We live in Saudi and there are not a great deal of guinea pigs anyway. Ours were rescued ones and I would like to get another rescue asap. But what should I do? He isn't two years old yet so I am hesitant about introducing another male. I was thinking about a neutered female but would like your advice first please.

Thank you so much for any advice.

I'm sorry you lost your pig. But I think either another male or a neutered female would do, whichever you find first. Good luck in locating one.

Thank you. Would there not be problems introducing another male? Would I have to separate them first? And how long is it ok to leave Clover without another guinea pig? We go back home in ten days.

So very sorry for the loss of your one piggie.
Many time pairing a young male with an older male works very well. When you can.look into a rescue of a young male. Do hope it all works out for all. Keep us posted as to what you do. Would love to hear how it all works out for your pig.

Don't worry too much about how long it'll take to get another pig. He'll be very sad from what I can tell, but it'll be worth it once he gets a new friend again. I'm very sorry he's gone though :(

@Umleila First, my condolences on your loss. It's bad enough to loose a pet, but when it happens while you are away, it's even worse. How very mature of you to be understanding and even grateful that the people took such good care of your boys.

Having lost my dog while we were away one weekend this past May, I can sympathize with your situation. My husband and I were gone for the weekend when my dog- who I'd had for 10 1/2 years- got loose and was hit by a car. Initially, I was upset with the provider I left him with, but that didn't last more than a day or two. Now I find myself trying to forgive myself for leaving him behind when I had the feeling something was wrong before we left. Praise God I tracked him down within 24 hours of returning home! I hate to think how I would have felt if it had taken any longer. You seem to be dealing with this with more grace then I . I'm just saying I know how you feel and I'm grateful your handling your loss in such a mature fashion.

Introductions are generally done slowly and carefully. Some people even like to take their piggies to the rescue to see if they could get along even potentially. Rescues are usually prepared to help you in the selection process as well- helping you make sure all parties are in agreement, piggies included.

I have been fostering 2 piggy girls, 1 of which passed on a month or so ago (may she rest in peace). I found a pair to give my survivor piggy friends just recently on CL. I wasn't able to do a meet and greet, but I've divided my 3x5 in half- solo piggy on one side, the CL pair on the other. I'm hoping this will give them the chance to get to know each other until I can give them some time all together on neutral territory. Good luck with your pairing! Hope these tips help.

Thank you so much for all your thoughtful words and advise. I am on my phone at the mo and don't know how to multi quote.

I have spoken to the sitters and they will give the remaining boar, Clover, lots of extra love and cuddles.

I think we will eventually get a younger boar as suggested. My only dilemma is that the only place to get one might be a pet shop, but hopefully a rescue one will turn up.

Critterluvva I'm sorry about the loss of your dog :(

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

A couple of other questions please. After quarantine, would it be ok to introduce them out of the cage and then put them back into the old cage together.

Do I need to replace the coroplast and hideys and fleece liners or is a thorough wash enough for it to be a neutral place?

I have a small cage bin that used to belong to our hamster that I think should be ok for a small gp for the quarantine period, but after that would like them to be in the big cage together.

Thanks again :)

if i were you i would wash everything and introduce them in a neutral place just to be on the safe side. i hope everything goes well! sorry about the pig you lost:weepy: my pigs send there love! i dont have enough knowledge about your other two questions to be of any help. sorry:sorry:

Thank you Dahlia :)

You r welcome umleila!:d

A little update:

Clover is doing ok and is getting lots of extra love and attention. So far he doesn't seem too depressed.

I have spoken to a vet at the rescue and they have a few neutered females but no young males.

Would it be ok to introduce an older female, or should I wait it out for a young male?

Your thoughts are welcome :)

Bumping for an answer to my last question please :) i have been told there are neutered females available. Should I consider introducing one to Clover, or should I hold out for a younger boar?

Thank you :)

Since the female is neutered, it would be safe to introduce her to Clover.

Thank you lissie :) Is that regardless of the females age? From what I know they could be a year or over.

You're welcome. It should be fine. While I think sometimes it's easier to pair a baby to an adult, many believe it would depend more on their personality. You'll just have to try and see.

All my adult pigs are pretty laid back.

I had a similar dilemma, we had one male alone, and were looking around forums and asking about how best to do it! we decided on getting a young male; at first they were great together, we introduced them slowly, gave them time with a lot of space and a divider, then gave them a little time together, then a break with the divider and continued - they really took to one another and lived happily for three months or so, but then the younger one started really pestering and grumbling constantly, we started noticing the elder not settling down to sleep at all, he'd sit backed up into a corner unless he was eating... it was horrible to see him like that and he became very timid around us which wasn't like him at all, so we went back to research! we stuck at it as told and left them to sort their differences, but then one night they really went for eachother, one lost a chuck of his ear, and the other had a big cut under his chin. so we split them up completely, we went BACK to reading and found out that sometimes if the younger has a dominant personality he'll start to try and take over the elder; who would be dominant, but that it could be possible to wait until both were fully grown and try again.
We did that, and again they seemed great, we didn't leave them together unless supervised, and began to make it a little longer that they were together each time... it took a good week or so, then they suddenly had a big fight again, luckily i was in the next room and separated them... they have cages next to one another, and still sleep next to eachother...
not only am i sharing this with you as a little warning to watch the young guinea pig to see their personality (when we went to collect the younger, he was alone, so we didn't see him interacting, but the store had him in such a bad condition we couldn't leave him there), but also for HELP!! i'm wondering whether to create a three level cage, with the middle floor being divided so they can have their own floor, and one shared if they want, because they seem to like the company... I'd hate to have to rehome one of them, as I took on the responsibility, but I don't have room to get a third and fourth to try and re-buddy them with new guineas... opinions please?!

Thanks for telling me about your experiences alisastockwell. I hope you get some help about your situation. And thanks for your response again lissie :)

A happy update :) we got our baby today. He's a one month old boar. He's very tame and sweet.

We got him from the same rescue we got Dandelion and Clover from. He is in the same room as Clover now and they both seem oblivious to each other.

I'm thinking a week kept completely separately and then a week of introductions on neutral territory and then try them in the cage. I've got new coroplast ready.

Does that sound ok?

Here's a picture of him. No name as of yet :) Sad news

Oh and we've had him for about three hours now and he's eaten hay, veg and pellets but not pooed yet. Is that normal?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.