Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Rumble for mating going on for 15 days straight

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Hello,
We have to beautiful girls. Like all, every so often they go through that rumbling on/off throughout the day. It usually lasts a couple of days, but with Libbie, it's been 15 days straight. She is about 3 and so is her sister. She doesn't do it a ton, but every day a number of times. Anyone have it happen of this long? Any ideas why? Nothing has been different. We're almost a little worried due to the length of time. When she stands for a treat I notice her boobs(?) are more noticeable........at least I think they are, maybe I'm just noticing stuff more since this has been going on for so long.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take her in for an ultrasound for ovarian cysts.

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
If they'd find something, do they have to operate to remove them, I assume? I don't like the idea of operating on such a little guy if I don't have to.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Depending on the kind of ovarian cyst, they can do hormone treatments. Some kinds of cysts will respond to that, others won't. But hormone treatments aren't a cure. They may not be effective at all, or will work only for a few weeks or months, or maybe, if you're lucky, up to a year. They only cure is to spay the pig.

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the info.... One last question - is leaving the cyst an option? She if fine besides the "sexy owlies" that she does from time to time each day. They're too small to go "under the knife" unless totally necessary....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, you run a risk by not treating them. Cysts can rupture, and if they rupture at the point where the blood supply goes to them, the pig can bleed out. And they can get so large that they impinge on the other organs and can cause problems that way.

There are risks any way you go. But I'd take her for an ultrasound to find out if that's even what you're dealing with. There's no point worrying about it if that's not the problem.

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your thoughtful responses! We appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.