Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

rip bumblebee

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
this morning my guinea pig bumblebee died from some sort of shock/respiratory infection. at least he's in a better place now :love:

jewelst92

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss! It must be so hard right now and I feel your pain. I just lost my guinea too. Think of the good times it helps ease the pain.

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
lost my guinea pig this morning, cause unknown?..

this also relates to my last post, but this morning my guinea pig bumblebee died. i really couldn't help it. the previous day we had taken him to the vet and he was diagnosed with URI. we fed him his medicine that morning, and at night. however, this morning when I went to pick him up to feed him his meds he was a bit.. numb. it was like he barely had control over his body, and you could roll him or do whatever you wanted. he was still breathing though. this of course worried me, but i tried to ignore it.. when i went to feed him his medicine, i was sitting on the floor he accidentally rolled over and out of my hands and onto the wood floor. he squirmed on his back for about a second before i had to pick him up and wrapped him in a towel. he was barely breathing.. and his body was even worse than before. his systems were basically shut down, he had zero control. and.. uh, little bit after that, he stopped breathing :(

my question is.. does anyone know what happened? it's tearing me apart, i need to know..was i simply too late and his URI was too bad already, or did something happen to his back when he fell?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
So many losses lately. I'm very sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rest in peace, Bumblebee. Find a cozy place at the Rainbow Bridge and eat whatever you want until your slave comes for you :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I merged your threads.

There's no way to know what happened unless you had a necropsy done. It sounds as though he had an overwhelming infection. I doubt that rolling from your lap to the floor would have caused anything if you were sitting on the floor.

I'm sorry you lost him.

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
  1. I merged your threads.
There's no way to know what happened unless you had a necropsy done. It sounds as though he had an overwhelming infection. I doubt that rolling from your lap to the floor would have caused anything if you were sitting on the floor.

I'm sorry you lost him.

Thanks for merging the posts, very much appreciated! (i was worried i would get in trouble or something, i just joined yesterday!) And also thanks for the information about him. He must have been hiding his sickness very well then, because he had only started showing symptoms two days prior. (e.i. heavy breathing, not-moving, not drinking.) The vet didn't act as if he had a serious condition or anything, just gave him fluids.. guess we'll never know though :(.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you took him to a regular small animal (dog and cat) vet, he may not have gotten the proper treatment. Small animal vets get little to no education in the care and treatment of exotics. If you have another pig, make sure you see an exotic vet when the pig is ill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.