Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rest In Peace My Angel

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yesterday afternoon our SPCA foster cat got out and killed my baby girl Angel.
He must of squeezed through the window..it was locked at about 2 inches open, and then climbed back inside another window..He'd already been in that room for a month...by doing that he had access to all of the pigs in our house..my 10 and the 30 so in the rescue. But instead of killing an old or sick one..he killed my 3 month old healthy girl who I had bonded to and put so much of my hope for a new start of life in.

I don't blame Rascal at all, he is a cat with a high prey drive and did what he knows to do..but I asked mum if we could foster to help the SPCA..we were doing a good thing..but because of it I get my little Angel taken away from me too soon...I just am so thankful for how amazing my cats are. Seeing Angel was horrible...I just don't understand why things like this happen when you try to do a good thing and save lives.

I feel horrible. We have 8 cats of our own, 6 were feral..living in the bush the two girls still do but they also do eat at our house and call it their home...with 6 male cats and 2 female cats...and 6 being feral...none of them are interested in the pigs or rabbits and now not even the rats...I just am so thankful for that. (All of our cats are de-sexed and the 14 year old boys and 2 year old boys are micro-cipped)

We've lost many guinea pigs running this rescue for over a year..but NEVER ONCE has one been killed by a cat, dog or person.
I don't think I can handle fostering for the SPCA again with the risk of losing another one of guinea pigs if the cat gets out.

Please don't be harsh or mean..I don't think I can tell people on the rescue's facebook page as I'll be bashed at for not protecting her...It was something we never thought would happen as he was never suppose to come out of his room with-out someone either holding him or him in a carrier.

When I went down their to give my herd their nail's clipped..I found Rascal out so I put him in his room..then I went inside my herds cage and leaned down to catch Buttercup..I turned my head and under a fleece forest I saw Angel..I didn't stop crying for an hour...I feel responsible for my little girl's death as I had asked if we could foster for the SPCA...I had chosen to adopted her for myself as she reminded me of my lethal white girl Precious and my first guinea pig Rex...I had thought life was turning around... I had wanted to watch her get cubby and big, to grow old..I was there when she was born..if I was there when Rascal got out..she wouldn't of died, I was up stairs watching tv with mum.

She was my girl Trixie's first ever best friend. They did everything together.

Baby Pictures..

I'm so sorry for your loss, rest in peace Angel :love:.

My little girl lying with her two sisters and mother...her mum and two sisters still haven't found a home..her mums bonded to another girl and I'm going out to see her sisters at their foster home..for my mum and I have been talking about adopting them...but I just feel like I wouldn't be able to keep them safe..I just feel like a terrible mummy to them now...

Aww, hon. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's awful that these things happen. Big hug to you.

I am so sorry. My dog killed both my piggies a little over a month ago. I know how you feel. It happened
happened the day before one of them would have been three months old. I'm really so sorry :(

I'm really sorry..... I think you're doing a great service by letting everyone know what happened. I'd have never imagined a cat could squeeze through a small opening like that and I doubt that anyone else would have, either. You didn't do anything wrong. It's a good wake up call for those who think that dogs and cats can be trusted around guinea pigs. Even the tamest of dogs and cats can have their prey drive set off by something these little ones do. Hopefully, this will convince others to not trust their prey animals around their guinea pigs.

I'm so sorry you lost Angel. She was way too young. :(

So sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry. Don't blame yourself, cats can do more than anyone would ever think of. I think you are doing amazingly with your rescue and fostering those cats. In the time that Angel was with you, she knew nothing but love and care. You are a great parent to your piggies. Don't beat yourself up.

Thank you all.

After Rascal goes back to the SPCA..I don't think I can handle fostering another cat for them.

I trust my cats around our animals, but I can't risk bringing another cat into the house who I don't trust..It took our cats 3 years of showing no interest in the animals *they no longer even care about my pet rats but will catch wild rats, they just know who family is.*

Yesterday we took Angel to the vets and she is getting cremated..she is now up there over the piggy rainbow with my Precious girl showing her where the best bits of grass are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.