Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Recovered from Vitamin C deficiency. Can it cause any future issues?

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
When I first got Peppermint Patty she had a very bad Vitamin C deficiency. She was only 5 weeks when I got her so she was just a baby. She had barely any strength so she didn't move a lot and slept on her back a lot. She didn't really walk the first 3 days I had her. Her spine was sticking out because she was thin. One of her hips felt misaligned but doesn't anymore. I don't know if that was from not having vitamin C or from sitting weird in the womb. She was in a liter of 4 as far as I know. She is completely fine now and is getting enough vitamin C. She's one of the happiest active little guinea pigs I have met. I guess I'm just wondering if having a problem like that so young could possible cause any issues I should be worried about in the future as she gets older.

When I first got Peppermint Patty she had a very bad Vitamin C deficiency. She was only 5 weeks when I got her so she was just a baby. She had barely any strength so she didn't move a lot and slept on her back a lot. She didn't really walk the first 3 days I had her. Her spine was sticking out because she was thin. One of her hips felt misaligned but doesn't anymore. I don't know if that was from not having vitamin C or from sitting weird in the womb. She was in a liter of 4 as far as I know. She is completely fine now and is getting enough vitamin C. She's one of the happiest active little guinea pigs I have met. I guess I'm just wondering if having a problem like that so young could possible cause any issues I should be worried about in the future as she gets older.

Any time a human or animal is malnourished there might be health related issues. If the mother wasn't getting enough calcium, poor bone development could be an issue. It's hard to say what health issues might show up later but the most important thing would be to continue offering a well balanced diet and keep your eyes open for anything that doesn't seem normal.

I don't know anything about long term effects but I'm really glad to hear she has recovered and is healthy now!

Thank you! I will definitely keep an eye out. Everything seems very normal now.

I'm very glad she recovered too. She's the cutest and is starting to get fluffy!

I think we need a pigture, lol.

There are the pictures!. She didn't want them taken she wanted to eat.

You can see her back mohawk here. its just that strip thats so much longer. its so cute!
Recovered from Vitamin C deficiency. Can it cause any future issues?

This is how big she is now! shes like doubled in size! shes my cutie! :D
Recovered from Vitamin C deficiency. Can it cause any future issues?Recovered from Vitamin C deficiency. Can it cause any future issues?

She is a cutie, and I love her punk mohawk!

I love it its just so cute. It just like appeared one day. you can't really tell from the picture but the white part has a cowlick and makes a circle type deal. I couldn't get a good picture:[

I thought there could be some long term effects of vit c deficiency but I could be wrong. @bpatters?

I tired to find it online but got nothing. I'm hoping that means no. And That she will be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.