Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Re-homing a bonded pair of males

Nelli

Cavy Slave
I've had Patches since April 2008 and Mellow since January 2009. I love my boys and I hate the idea of having to give them up. My partner has asthma. Since we moved in together his asthma has become more severe. It went from acting up once a year to every three to four weeks. At first i thought it was a hay allergy. I changed hay and that didn't work. I even stopped using hay for a month to see if it made a difference and that didn't work. On every visit to the ER the doctors told me my piggies had to go but I just couldn't part with them.

I originally had four but I was able to re-home my girls with a friend of mine. I would appreciate it if the boys can be taken together as they are bonded. Now my son seems to be allergic to the hay. My piggies are temporarily being housed at my mother's house. She doesn't want them there any longer than a month and they have already been there for a week. She doesn't want a big cage in her house so I have to down size their cage to a 2x3 and I had to argue with her over the cage size. She wanted me to keep them in their travel cage (the pet store cage that I use to take them to the vet). So far they have not been fighting due to lack of cage space.

I don't want to let them go and neither does my son. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice right now. I am looking for someone who will be able to provide a loving forever home and who will be able to give the boys the proper love and care and attention they need and require. I am also looking for someone who doesn't have any problems providing adequate cage space and who doesn't suffer from any type of allergies.

I will be re-homing for a small fee. You can send me a message if you are interested. You can also take a look at my photos to see my boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located?

If you get any pigs in the future, never again withhold hay. This can cause serious problems.

Brooklyn, New York

Just wondering, is your partner a swimmer? Many of the high school and college swimmers get asthma and they figured out recently it is partly a consequence of breathing fine droplets of water near the surface of the water in chlorinated pools. American pools have loads of chlorine in them.

I am sorry for all the medical issues you have , but I also feel very bad for the piggies who went without hay for a month.

Akstrohm I am located in Brooklyn, New York.

@ Akstrohm: Thanks for the info regarding the hay. I never withhold hay from my piggies. I only did it that time because I was trying to figure out if the hay was triggering the asthma or my piggie babies.

I realized the hay was not triggering my partner's asthma. During the time my babies went without hay he still suffefed severe asthma attacks. My piggies had a room for themselves and he stayed out of the room as much as possible. If he entered the room to get as little as a pair of shoes, in less than an hour we were off to the emergency room. When my son is around the hay he starts itching and breaking into hives (the issue with my son and the hay is a recent development this was not always the case). I stopped using timothy and now only use orchard. I don't have the luxory of ordering from kleenmamas. I read about the bluegrass.

@ Cogni: He is not a swimmer nor is he a high school or college student.

I do understand your reasoning, but withholding hay for a month is not acceptable. A better solution would have been to see an allergist to determine the cause of the allergies and to ask someone else to care for the pigs in the meantime. I also realize that they are back to eating hay now, so it's no longer a concern.

You might find that given how little KM hay gets wasted that it is a cheaper option for you even with shipping. But of course the orchard grass you are currently feeding is perfectly fine too--they certainly don't need KM hay.

Is there anyone in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island or Long Island or even New Jersey that would be willing to take in my 2 boys. I drive and am willing to do so if transportation is an issue. Along with the boys I will be sending their cage, bedding and remaining food. You can send me a message if you are interested. Their time is limited at my mother's house and I am trying to avoid having to take them to a shelter.

I am just sending an update regarding my boys. The have been adopted by a wonderful couple who I am pretty sure will take care of them just as well as I was able to and maybe even better. They have way more space than I had to offer my piggies and they will now have a lot more room for floor space.

Glad to hear you found a home for your boys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.