Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Rapid Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenMarceline

Cavy Slave
My cavy Marcy has been gaining weight rather rapidly which is causing me to worry but I won't have money to take her to a vet until about a week and a half from now so maybe you guys could help me determine how worried I should be. In a week she gained 2 ounces then 2 more ounces 2 days after being weighed. She is suspected to be about 5 months old. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her besides a fungal infection which I'm already in the process of treating with over the counter human fungal cream until my products from gorgeousguineas come in the mail. She doesn't seem to scratch at it often and it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much. I suspect the extra two ounces in the week to have been caused by a couple of salads I gave her and my other guinea PB which were about double the size of their normal daily salad. She hasn't become lethargic and is just as active as before and has no other symptoms other than the afore mentioned fungal infection. So what do you guys think? How worried would you be?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Are you weighing at the same time of day? A pig's weight can fluctuate a good amount throughout the day. And the amount you have seen does not seem crazy... she's still growing, plus just a bit of fluctuation, all seems within fine ranges. I would not be concerned by it.

QueenMarceline

Cavy Slave
I usually just weigh at the the time I can get around to cleaning their cage for the week. Usually pretty late at night. After I posted this I actually did some more reading (I'm still a little new to guinea pigs and whenever I think I've done all the reading I can about them I find more! So I am still learning) and realized I should be weighing at the same time of day so I am planning to set an alarm for a certain time every Tuesday (the day I usually weigh them) I thought it might just be that she's still growing. She is kind of a pig and eats more at snack time than my other cavy PB so I plan to start separating them during snack time from now on. After discovering the fungal infection on both of them I'm just a little paranoid about them getting other things I suppose. Thank you for your help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@QueenMarceline, please don't start two threads on the same subject. I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.