Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rant

• Thread starter futureguineamom
  • Start date

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
This is just a rant, but I have this friend and I just want to yell and scream at him! Here's why:

OKay, I told him I want to get my boyfriend a kitten. This guy, we'll say Mark, said:

Our dog killed two of ours.

(WHAT?)

This dog is a burmese mountain dog/ wolf, thats as he says, likes to travel. (As in wander off). I bet.. I mean the instincts this dog must have!

He then says "and it sucks, because every time we have to go and get her."

Oh my. You poor thing, having to care about your dog like that.

So I asked him if they can fence her in.. as in - in a big yard, to run and play.

He said She is right now, in a kennel.

Doesn't that sound like an exciting life? Keep in mind he lives on a farm. So I asked if they can just tie her up when out, or build her a fenced in run. His response? "Naa, no place to tie her up. Yeah, we just keep her locked up because she gets in trouble."

Oy. So then I brought up building the fenced in run again, and he says that they don't really take her too seriously anymore. So they just have to be around when she's out.

All of this, after explaining about my boyfriends buddy who has a dog who wanders too, and brings home cats with a broken spine. Does he not even care that the dog killed two of his own cats and might kill somebody elses? I'm sorry for my attitude but the ignorance of some people just drives me nuts sometimes. I understand they might "grow apart," but a dog - especially of a breed like that - needs to run! Of course any dog usually wanders when not restricted in some way. Hohum. Anyway, sorry for the rant and the attitude.. it just bothers me.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I think it is sick the way some people treat their dogs. There is a house across the street from me, that has two big dogs. A German pointer, and a lab mix. They have not come out of their kennel in the 6 years that I have lived in this house! Just sick! Some mornings I hear the dogs howling sadly, and i know their life must be horrible!

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
My sister is renting the attic apartment in her house, and the bottom floor people have a dog named Red. He's a bloodhound, and very sweet. They take him the BACK of the pick-up truck with them everywhere they go. Even when you are a few cars behind them, you can see his bones. That dog is wasting away, they barely feed him enough to live on. It's so sad. I've been thinking about reporting it.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Most people here don't care if cats get killed. Alot of farm dogs are kept just to kill cats or anything else that comes on the place. The farmers don't want to or can't take care of all the stray cats that wander on their place. If they leave them the cats breed and get sick with all sorts of diseases so they train their dogs to kill the cats. One of my neighbors had a chow/aussie shep mix that kept getting lose and killing chickens or the stray cats on our place. They tied him up a dozen times and even put in one of those invisible fences but they eventually had to find a new home for him because he still escaped and everytime he would kill smaller animals and chase livestock around. Although after I spent 2 days working with him he never touched my horses or my cats again. There problem was mostly a lack of discipline and the fact he had no reason to like home. They never played with him. At my place he'd actually watch me and help with the horses by keeping a young colt from bolting off while I was teaching it to lead or he'd go play with my dog who is taught not to hurt anything. The only time my dog has attacked something is when we came across a possum one evening and it threatened me.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
And that there is what most animals need. Love and patience, and somebody to play with them. Without that, it's no wonder some of the act out or misbehave as they say. My boyfriends - friends dog didn't kill a stray though, it wandered off.. well, they both wandered off (two dogs) and killed a nieghbors cat. Then my friend that I first mentioned killed his own cats. I just don't get it. I understand the stray thing, but aren't there better ways? Hohum.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
PLease, Please, do report it. His skinny appearence is enough good reason to report them for animal neglect. Unfortunatly, I can not report my neighbors because they have shelter, food, and water, and that is all that is required. Plus, our humane society here is crocked! They support the petstores. Long story, I talked about this in another thread. Anyway, I already called on the neighbors down the street. They were lettting their rabbits run around the streets free, with leashes and harnesses dragging behind them! Come to find out last week, one of their rabbits "disapeared" and they dont know what happened to it! That is plain animal abuse!!!
futureguineamom said:
My sister is renting the attic apartment in her house, and the bottom floor people have a dog named Red. He's a bloodhound, and very sweet. They take him the BACK of the pick-up truck with them everywhere they go. Even when you are a few cars behind them, you can see his bones. That dog is wasting away, they barely feed him enough to live on. It's so sad. I've been thinking about reporting it.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Ugh. He lives on a farm but there's "no place to tie her"? I can think of plenty of places to keep her! In a barn, in a stall, tie to a fence with a doghouse... loads of places they could keep her that are better then a kennel! Where I horseback ride, the owner hase 4 blue heelers, and the 2 males don't get along, so one basically lives in their(large) barn and has room to run around. Not that hard to do......

happimommaof2

Cavy Slave
"Doesn't that sound like an exciting life? Keep in mind he lives on a farm. So I asked if they can just tie her up when out,"
Actually tieng a dog up is not good either, we had to have our dog tied up for a while and now that she has a fenced yard if she gets out she will take off and run and then finally get tired and come home. But tieng a dog up is not good though just thought I would mention that. We learned from our mistake. She will never be on a chain again, it really is kinda cruel. I know that there is some people who have to have there dog tied up because of course we did, but that is only cause we have always rented, but the last two years she has had a fence, kind of like a kennel but she does come in at night.
Amanda

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
That kind of reminds me of some friends of my family. This is a family, & their dad used to work with mine. I remember how their kids always wanted a sweet little puppy, & begged about it for several years. Well, the eventually got what they wanted - a lab. The mother is an interior decorator, so didn't want the dog inside the house. Outside? No, the dog would destroy the garden. So the poor thing sat in a kennel all day long. Apparently they walked it 3 times a day. Clearly that wasn't enough because he was so fat.

But you know, the kids got what they wanted. Who cares about actually spending time with it, because after all...it's just nice to look at.

At the moment this is a point of friction between my boyfriend & I. Somewhere in the future I would like a dog. But a dog should be allowed to come inside. Dogs live in packs. We're part of the pack. If the pack/family is inside, the dog should be allowed inside. But my boyfriend thinks dogs should be outside, people inside (because they're stinky, hairy, dirty, etc). I don't get that kind of mentality. I told him if he wants to buy a pet that he can look at through a pane of glass, then he should get a fish, not a dog.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.