Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits not getting along, what do I do?

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
I thought my almost-year-old Holland Lop rabbit, Emma, was lonely, so I got her a six month old Mini Rex, Lilly, as a companion. When I got Lilly, I had to put her in a temporary pet store cage (that my rat was in, and moved him to a tank) as I potty train her. I haven't started the potty training yet, but the three times I've put them together they pull each others fur out, grunt at each other, and chase each other around :(. I thought of it as aggression, but my mom said it was just dominance, I thought they mounted each other for dominance, am I wrong? The woman I got her from said they were more than willing to take her back if it didn't work out, but it seems like It would be mean to do that, but then again I can't guarantee that things are going to work out, like, if she can't be potty trained then I can't really put them together (since Emma lives on carpet) and if they keep on fighting, then I would have to keep her in the small pet store cage and my rat in the 20 gal. tank, I can't stand seeing either of them in the small cages, so what do you think I should do? I've heard spaying helps, but we can't afford it, I also don't have room for another cage, if they have to stay separated. I know I wasn't prepared for anything to go wrong, but I just wanted to make Emma happy, and it doesn't seem like it's going to work.

Where did you introduce them to each other? It really needs to be in a neutral place where neither of them have been before so no rabbits scents would be around. When you introduce them try around feeding time so they may be hungry and be distracted by the food and so won't be as concerned to fight. As litter training is concerned I am not sure I have any real info. My one girl still refuses to use her tray consistently though thankfully pees in her tray 95%. If they do bond try placing a waterproof tablecloth or shower liner down and then placing fleece on top so if she has any accidents it won't ruin the carpet. You need to start of allowing a small space for the new rabbit to be allowed and place the tray in her favorite spots. It helps if you put hay in or above the tray. Hope some of this helps.

I think they are just figuring out dominance. If there is any blood drawn, separate them, but otherwise you should just let them out on neutral territory with some hay/veggies.

The problem probably is you are trying to put two females together. The best pairing is neutered male/spayed female. If neither of them are spayed, they are going to be naturally more aggressive and territorial.

It is not necessarily that they are both female. I've worked in rabbit placement and I have been in charge of bunny dates.
Please read here:
https://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/bonding.html

are they both altered?
where did you introduce them?
are you working with them daily?

the process may take months, patience is a virtue.
also read here
https://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/bonding_dos.html

There are several tricks of the trade, so keep working at it.
In the future, there are such things called "bunny dates" in which your bunny could show a preference on what type of personality she likes in a companion. It is best to let her choose rather than choose for her, but it can be done with the buns you have currently.

It might just take several months and lots of patience and work.
Also, potty training is very much improved when the bunny is spayed or neutered. Training them also requires work and patience.

yeah, rabbits hump each other other dominance. My 2 males do that. If they're spayed they might be able to get along.

Maybe you should think about getting your rat a friend instead. Rats NEED friends much more than rabbits do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.