Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Puffing sound

Squek Life

Cavy Slave
I have 2 baby guniea pigs, both Abyssinian. I came into the room and heard puffing sounds for one of them. I watch him for about 10 minutes and made sure he wasn't choking. He then stoped and started eating hay normally. I now return to the cage and he started puffing again. He is a dominate guniea pig so I don't know if he's warming off the others, but he normally does this with a low growl? He's also on the quieter side so I don't hear him much. If it's a cough is that the typical sound? If so is this a health related problem?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Could have been a sneeze

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig coughs are very high-pitched and pretty distinctive, so it probably wasn't that. A sneeze does sound more like a puff, but I've never heard of a pig sneezing for 10 straight minutes. If he does it again and you can take a video that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squek Life

Cavy Slave
a
Guinea pig coughs are very high-pitched and pretty distinctive, so it probably wasn't that. A sneeze does sound more like a puff, but I've never heard of a pig sneezing for 10 straight minutes. If he does it again and you can take a video that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank you! He stopped doing it for a whole day and the burst is a lot shorter. I do believe it's sneezing because after jumping into a hay pile he started puffing again. If he does it again I'll try to get a vid of it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.