Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Prolapsed uterus

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I am pig sitting my local library pig for the weekend so she can be constantly monitored by someone who has GP experience. Yesterday she went to the vet to have surgery done on her prolapsed uterus. The vet spayed her.

I am somewhat concerned about what the vet said to do as post op care as he said to feed yogurt (and I know pigs are lactose intolerant) if she is not eating or her poos are soft. As a second choice he said to get some probiotics. He also did not give her any pain meds (which I find odd). She has eaten a bit but not a lot at all and she has very few poos and they are soft.

Since she is not my pig I am leary as to what I should give her but I obviously want what is going to be best for her. Is there anything I can give her to help her eat (not sure I can find critical care, would a pellet mash suffice?) or relieve her pain? If I do give her anything should I call the vet first to let them know what she is getting?

I posted this on Guinea Lynx as well but want to know what everybody thinks.
[/FONT]

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
One other question: How long should they keep Ginger in the small pet store cage to keep her movement restricted from sugery. She had surgery this past Thursday (1/29/09).

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear the loss.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear the loss.

Huh? No one died. She just had surgery. I just wanted to know how long she should be kept in her smaller cage to keep her from running around too much and pulling her stitches.

Thanks for the concern though. :)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't read carefully, I thought it said "she passed this thursday." Silly me I am not the best reader.

fairylover

Cavy Slave
Poor little baby...it sounds terrible. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.