Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Prescribed Sulfatrim for injury

madakri

Cavy Slave
Hi, my Chewy has a mouth laceration that he acquired while being introduced to Goku.

During their wellness check-up on Saturday, the vet prescribed oral Sulfatrim along with a soother plus cream for the scratches on the face.

I asked for the probiotics and the vet said she has had very good results with this antibiotic without the need of giving probiotics. She said that Sulfatrim does not affect the flora and she mentioned a period of time, don't remember right now.

I've been reading Guinealynx and I did not come across an antibiotic called sulfatrim.

I was wondering if any one else has ever used this antibiotic on their GP.

Chewy is eating normally, however he seems a little less active, less playful. His fur around his face and neck are a bit fluffy.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing really, but I need to know.
Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

sulfatrim is another name for bactrim, which is considered a safe antibiotic for guinea pigs. Here is a link: https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim

You can always give your piggie a probiotic on your own. I always do - just in case. You can buy acidophilus pills or you can use droppings from a healthy guinea pig. See here for more info: https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

I think it's always a good idea to give a probiotic when using antibiotics. It certainly won't hurt your piggie - and it could help.

Are you weighing Chewy? If not, please get yourself a good kitchen or postal scale and start weighing him daily so you can see if he is losing weight. You can't tell just by holding your piggie if he is losing weight or not. If he is losing weight, you will need to get some critical care and handfeed him (or make your own mash). https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Yes I have a digital food scale; Chewy weighed 1085g on April 4th, at the vets office he weighed 1115g and today he's weighing 1078g.
Should I be concern?

He is eating his veggies, but he just doesn't look the same. From looking at him now, he's even breathing a little bot faster than usual.
Maybe I should call the vet.

Their weight does fluctuate up and down - it's a general downward trend that you need to be concerned about. Generally a loss of an ounce is ok - two ounces or more is cause for concern. You do need to weigh at approximately the same time of day to be able to compare weights. He is only down 7 grams from a week ago so I'd say that's nothing to worry about. Keep weighing him though.

If you have concerns about his breathing or how he is acting, definitely call the vet. You know your piggie best and should go with your instincts.

Thank you, I think for my peace of mind, I should call the vet, he's just not his normal self.

One thing I have definitely learned is to trust your gut instincts when it comes to your piggies.

Good luck with him and please let us know how it goes!

I will, thanks.

We're back from the vets. I had to take Chewy to "SPCA Wild Life Care Center" as our vet had a meeting there this morning.

Chewy's mouth laceration was deeper than originally had anticipated last Saturday's at the vets.
He was starting to build up puss deep inside the wound.
Dr. Schneider gave me two options for treatment; her first choice and best recommendation was to cleaning out the wound with a seringe full of diluted Chlorhetidine, which is what she did in the clinic and gave him an injection of Metacam.
Her second choice was to surgically seal it, but it would involve removing a piece of skin and there would be no guarantee that the infection would not continue to grow.
I went with her best recommendation, eventhough it involves more work.

I am supposed to insert the seringe as far in the wound as he will allow me and flush it out and apply Soother Plus Cream.
I am also to give him Metacam twice a day.

Clotho, your absolutely right and had I not done what my gut instinct told me to do.........I don't even want to think of the consequences.

Thank you so very much!

Chewy and I are going to take a nap now. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.