Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Poor pig

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
I was at this pet store yesterday (I usually go to one that doesn't sell animals, but I was desperate for pig food) and they had two piggies in two TINY little cages! But that wasn't the worst part. :eek:

One of the pigs, the better off loooking one (not really in good shape though) was in a cage about knee hight. It was a long haired, and she'he had a hidey house that was about 7 sizes too small! Her/His whole head was sticking out , and so was it's whole bottom! =9 it looked so lonely.

But then, there was a pig on the floor. First of all, it looked scared and lonely, but it was in pretty bad shape. It had bare patches on it's skin where the fur had come out, and was breathing hard. I felt so bad for it.

I asked my mom if I could get the one in worse shape just to make it happy, but she said no, thatI already had enough piggies. (only two!)

I could not believe that those poor piggies had to live in a place like that! And their cages were really dirty too. :weepy: :sick:

You're not going to like what I'm about to say but it's a good thing your mother didn't buy that poor piggie. Buying that piggie, as I'm sure you know if you'd read through this site at all, would have helped to continue the chain that is causing that little piggies condition to begin with. Pet stores like this one stay open because people feel bad for the animals in these poor conditions and buy them. If no one bought the animals the store wouldn't keep getting the animals from the breeders who provide the sick pigs to begin with. It's a viscious cycle fostered by those who just don't know any better. I'm sorry that piggie has to suffer but buying him would have been a band aid on a much larger problem. Another sick piggie would have just taken his place the next day. I'm sorry to hear about your experience at this store, it sucks I know..... I've been tempted to "rescue" animals from pet stores as well. The reality of the situation is that your only doing good things for piggies if you're rescuing them from your local rescue or shelter. Otherwise, your just playing into their greedy, bloody hands.

I completely understand. And yes, I read most of these threads. I'm sorry.

I see what you mean. Well, I hope they never get anymore piggies! Thankies so much for telling me that...sometimes I get overwhelmed at what people can do, and I feel so bad for them.

Please call your local SPCA and report the sick animal. Be firm about them going out to the store to check it out.

The next time I see a sick pet at PetCo (I go there from time to time just to check on the piggies) I am going to call the SPCA for sure. They're sick of seeing me there, but I have little remorse for those who treat pigs that way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.