Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Poor Paisley breathing hard

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
I'm a fairly new piggie owner. I've noticed for the past day or so that my sweet girl Paisley is breathing harder than normal. She is eating and drinking normal. i don't know if I should be concerned yet and take her to the vet yet. Could it be a possible upper respiratory infection? If i do have to take her to the vet, how much would it approximately cost? I just don't want it to cost an arm and a leg to take her to the vet. Thanks for your help you guys!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Does she have any other symptoms? This is a good page to read about URI's https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Typically URI's are fairly cheap to treat as far as vet costs go, usually the only costs will be for the exam itself and the medication. Exactly how much it would end up costing would vary from vet to vet, but make sure any vet you go to for a guinea pig is an exotic vet. If you are concerned about the cost I would recommend calling the vet you would likely take her to and asking them directly for rough estimate of how much they would charge.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs an exotic vet. They can go downhill in a BIG hurry with a respiratory infection.

You need to set aside money for a vet fund. How much you need depends on how many guinea pigs you have, and how much your exotic charges. Please don't try to save by using a small animal (dog and cat) vet -- they do not have the education and training to treat exotic pets unless they've done extra study in that area. But your pet depends on you to take care of it, and that means medical care as well as food, hay and pellets.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
She doesn't have any other symptoms based on the website you gave me.

Does she have any other symptoms? This is a good page to read about URI's https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Typically URI's are fairly cheap to treat as far as vet costs go, usually the only costs will be for the exam itself and the medication. Exactly how much it would end up costing would vary from vet to vet, but make sure any vet you go to for a guinea pig is an exotic vet. If you are concerned about the cost I would recommend calling the vet you would likely take her to and asking them directly for rough estimate of how much they would charge.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
There's not an exotic vet any where near me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We might be able to help you find one.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you Atlanta? Arguably the best guinea pig vet in the country is there.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
That's 2 hours away from me.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
I'm in Milledgeville, GA.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Gadd's Animal Doctors in Gray says they see exotic animals. I don't know anything about them except what i found by googling.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Thank you very much!

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update you guys. My sweet Paisley did pass away today. First pet and first animal that I have ever lost.

Animallovaa

Cavy Slave
I'm concerned about my other piggie Cinnamon. When is it okay to get another piggie, so she won't be lonely? i think she knows that her sister is gone but is okay with her not suffering anymore.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience with my first pig, Pixel. :( I adopted another about a week after she passed, so the Pudge wouldn't be alone. Make sure you quarantine them both so they don't transfer anything to each other.

mjalred

Cavy Slave
I'm so so sorry for your loss. While I don't really know what it's like to lose a pig, my Mabel has an issue where she gets chronic illnesses. We are always able to get her back in shape after a few days, but it always worries me. Multiple times when we thought we were going to lose her I broke down at school, home, everywhere I went I worried. I can imagine you felt the same for little Paisley. But she doesn't have to suffer anymore, and I just know that she's watching over you and little Cinnamon.

For your issue on getting another pig. It really depends. Now that Paisley has left you, do YOU want more Guinea pigs, I think it is extremely important for pigs to have company, but every chain must end somewhere. If you feel like you want more pigs and more and more, I'm sure that's what's best for you and for Cinammon. When to get another piggie? Well the best advice I can give you is to watch her symptoms. There's a chance of her developing depression and not eating or drinking in some extreme cases, but if she isn't showing any symptoms of depression in the next few days or so, I'd say the next pig can come as soon as YOU are ready.

Im so sorry for your loss. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.