Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Poll: to neuter or add a male cage mate?

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for your input ♥

@AmberCalzone I will definitely follow your suggestion on cleaning everything to remove all scents. It will actually work out great because I'm in the middle of sewing new cage liners for them and hope to have them done this weekend since my sewing machine decided to crap out on me. Maybe I did misread/misunderstand the guidelines for introducing, I'm not sure. I have been obsessing over this whole situation since I realized my Small Small was pregnant. I just feel so overwhelmed sometimes because I'm in over my head and just want to make the best decision under these less-than-ideal circumstances. But I do know that I'm going to wait until next week to put them together again, that way Olaf can nurse for the full three weeks before leaving his mama.

@ClemmyOddieIndy you're right, my title/original post is misleading. I don't even think I knew exactly what I was asking last night. I'm still not even sure I know what I'm asking, I just know I'm in over my head and feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I was leaning toward neutering initially because that was our original intention when I brought him home, never expecting to have babies. Now that little Olaf has entered the picture it seems like a better option altogether. I feel like both decisions need to be carefully considered as both have their pros and cons, but there are more cons in neutering than moving Olaf in with Boy Pig.

Ugh I could cry, I wish I hadn't been so naive when I brought Boy Pig home and I wouldn't be in this situation. My poor piggies have gotten the short end of the stick and I just want to fix everything so they're happy and healthy. I guess I'll give it some serious thought over the next couple of days and try to make the best decision for them. I'm like 99% sure we'll be moving our boys in together though, so wish me luck! By the way, did you like the pictures I shared? I posted them for you since I took the advice in the link you shared with me last night :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Having brand new, unused liners will work perfectly :) Also, I think it's a good choice to leave Olaf with mama for the full 21 days.
And, your unintentional mini-introduction looks like it went pretty well from the pictures, I think Olaf and Boy Pig will become good friends once properly introduced and given some time to settle things out with one another. The pigtures were adorable, by the way!

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Just to ease my mind, could you verify that I have correctly sexed the babies? I am pretty sure I have 3 females and just 1 male in the litter, but after all the mistakes I've made recently I would feel better if I got confirmation. I am not taking anymore chances!!!

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I just love them to pieces! I just can't get enough of these piggies! ♥♥

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
If you post bits photos I'm sure we can help you sex them :)

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll post them in just a few minutes. I'm getting my son from school :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I'll definately help with the sexing and any other questions you have! Goodluck with the boys, by the way! :)

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Pictures are on their way, it takes a minute to upload because cell reception is spotty where I live ;)

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
⬆Wee Pig got her name because she was the "runt" of the litter, such a wee little piggy when she was born! You wouldn't know it now though, she has plumped up and doesn't pass up an opportunity to nurse, steal lettuce or push someone out of the way to eat first! Lol

⬆Rudy looks like her mama, an Aby. She got her name because they were born just before Christmas and my son said she looked like Rudolph the white nosed pig pig- called Rudy for short lol. She is a little head strong and did not like me trying to take pictures of her "undercarriage" at all.

⬆Lieutenant Dan got her name from my hubby. He was so afraid that her legs didn't work when she was born, even though I assured him that they were not going to immediately start popcorning minutes after birth lol. He named her that after Forrest Gump, and she is definitely the little explorer, she doesn't like to sit still!

⬆This is little Olaf, who is also known as Dumbo as of last night. I watched that movie with my son yesterday and he decided to change his name because he felt Olaf had big ears and looked more like a Dumbo. But we'll continue to refer to him as Olaf to avoid confusion. I'm 100% sure he is a boy though because, after I took the picture, I was able to pop his "boy part" out.

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Btw @PeanutnCookie thanks for the good luck wishes! ♥

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome :D It looks like you are correct about 3 girls 1 boy.

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I thought so, but I learned the hard way you never can be too careful!

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
@Tylerspigs this is the thread that I got all that info from, these guys have been very informative! ;)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Haha yeah, happened here too.... Slightly different story though.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@Mknight622 I'm so assured now because I've been resexing my baby pig and she looks just like wee pig (down there. Sorry if it's weird) and she squeals everytime but now I'm positive she's a girl. That and she hasn't tried to hump my other lol

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie I'm glad I'm not the only one!! ;) @joys_cavies I'm glad this thread has helped you out too! :)

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie I'm glad I'm not the only one!! ;) @joys_cavies I'm glad this thread has helped you out too! :)
Me too. I read that they had a lump and when I did a final sexing last night Cavy spirit said for girls of you start to pull out a little there's a Y shape and there was. Idk why I was re-sexing though since she's 8 weeks and hasn't tried to mount lol (although mine did try to mount her but realized she's so small she's no threat lol)

Mknight622

Cavy Slave
So, I just thought I would let everyone know what's been going on with Boy Pig and the babies since last week, just in case anyone wanted an update ;)

Boy Pig and Olaf have been successfully introduced and are now living together! We did our "formal intro" this morning and I built them a new cage using new coroplast and the new fleece liners I made. I wouldn't say they're "happily" living together yet because Olaf is so sad, but it had to be done. He was literally trying to chew his way back into the cage with Mama earlier, but he has calmed down now. He has been hiding in the fleece forest all evening. The girls also got a new cage and new fleece and they seem really happy too! Both cages are smaller than I planned because *someone* measured and sewed the liners to be the wrong dimensions... It was a bad idea to be working on them at like 11 pm lol. But anyway, the boys are in a 4x1.5 plus a 2x1 kitchen, all on one level- it's an "L" shaped cage; the girls are in a 4.5x2 plus a 2x2 kitchen, also all one floor and in the shape of an "L." I guess you could say the cages are shaped more like a "C" since they are neighbors. If I wasn't so sick of looking at my beloved sewing machine, I would have made new liners that were the correct size, but that's gonna have to wait a week or two. I think these cages are big enough for now, but when I fix my mistake and rebuild the correct size cages the girls will be in a 2x6 with an additional 2x2 kitchen/extra space area that may be a loft or may be connected to the side; the boys will be in a 4x2 (or a 5x2 if needed) with an additional 2x2 area that may or may not be a loft. I'm not sure exactly how I want to do it yet, but I will be working on it during the day this time, that's all I know! Haha!
All in all, everyone is doing well, I'll post some pictures tomorrow! :)

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So, I just thought I would let everyone know what's been going on with Boy Pig and the babies since last week, just in case anyone wanted an update ;)

Boy Pig and Olaf have been successfully introduced and are now living together! We did our "formal intro" this morning and I built them a new cage using new coroplast and the new fleece liners I made. I wouldn't say they're "happily" living together yet because Olaf is so sad, but it had to be done. He was literally trying to chew his way back into the cage with Mama earlier, but he has calmed down now. He has been hiding in the fleece forest all evening. The girls also got a new cage and new fleece and they seem really happy too! Both cages are smaller than I planned because *someone* measured and sewed the liners to be the wrong dimensions... It was a bad idea to be working on them at like 11 pm lol. But anyway, the boys are in a 4x1.5 plus a 2x1 kitchen, all on one level- it's an "L" shaped cage; the girls are in a 4.5x2 plus a 2x2 kitchen, also all one floor and in the shape of an "L." I guess you could say the cages are shaped more like a "C" since they are neighbors. If I wasn't so sick of looking at my beloved sewing machine, I would have made new liners that were the correct size, but that's gonna have to wait a week or two. I think these cages are big enough for now, but when I fix my mistake and rebuild the correct size cages the girls will be in a 2x6 with an additional 2x2 kitchen/extra space area that may be a loft or may be connected to the side; the boys will be in a 4x2 (or a 5x2 if needed) with an additional 2x2 area that may or may not be a loft. I'm not sure exactly how I want to do it yet, but I will be working on it during the day this time, that's all I know! Haha!
All in all, everyone is doing well, I'll post some pictures tomorrow! :)
Glad to hear it! My girls all get a long now as well (Emmy finally learned that Mocha is to small to be a threat lol)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear Boy Pig and Olaf are getting along :)

I would LOVE to see your cage pictures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.