Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Poll: Fish?

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering, how many of you guys eat fish? I know that some people don't, but some people don't care because "they're just fish". I don't eat it. What do you guys think?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I don't eat fish.

A) Because they are animals too
B) Because they hurt my stomach the same as meat

I once had to order a non vegitarian meal. Someone had bought us first class tickets for the train but they bought them last minute so I couldn't request a vegitarian meal. I ordered fish since I figured it lived a happy life at one point and it was a lighter meat. I ate like 1/4 of the fillet and couldn't eat anymore.

My husband noticed that I wasn't eating my fish. Since we left work early that day, he missed his fish and chip lunch with his buddies. He kept giving me puppy dog eyes. I picked up the filet with my fork and plopped it on his plate. I was more then happy with my rice and vegitables.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I don't like fish anyway which brought me closer the being a true vegi.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I don't eat it - I used to but firgured they were animals too just like a chicken. It took me a while to give it up though

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Same here Piglet- I used to eat it but fish are animals too.. So I don't anymore.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Fish are smart(yes, they are!). I dont eat them.

elspeth

Cavy Slave
TheQueen said:
I was just wondering, how many of you guys eat fish? I know that some people don't, but some people don't care because "they're just fish". I don't eat it. What do you guys think?

When I turned veggie I ate fish for about 2 weeks then stopped. I do like fish & really miss that british classic, fish & chips, but I won't eat it or any other seafood. Fish have nervous systems as well and being dragged out the water in nets causes a great deal of stress...I read in the Peta booklet that the pressure on a fish when it is pulled out of the water can cause its eyes to pop out and its stomach to come up through its mouth (sorry if this is bit gory, but its the truth!). So after hearing that I'm definitely not going to eat fish again!

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
No, I don't.
-They have compete nervous systems, making them feel pain as much as I would if I had a hook though my mouth and was held underwater where I couldn't breathe.
-Fish have personalities and are intelligent
-Many fish species are becoming threatened by overfishing
-Fishing nets can destroy ecosystems
-50% of animals caught by fishing nets is 'trash catch', meaning worthless fish that can't be sold for food. This includes dolphins.
-I say that I only eat things where I could see the entire process of it's production and then eat it with a clear consicence. Seeing a fish struggle and fight for it's life just for my meal definetly makes me feel guilty!
-Fish tastes gross, anyway.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I eat fish. I hate that fact. Parents, sadly, do have some say in what I eat. Cutting out meat was one large fiasco--if I cut fish it'll be a living, well you-know-what for me. If I had a choice in the matter, I would not eat any fish. It's the same as any other animal, as shown by the posts above.

sun_sparkz

Cavy Slave
what about eggs guys? i know some ppl dont eat eggs (veges as well as vegans)

I eat eggs.. I have 15 chooks at home and they are happy free range beautiful chooks and they each lay an egg a day. i only have 2 roosters and most eggs arent fertile.. so to waste them would be dangerous for the chickens should they break.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
sun_sparkz said:
what about eggs guys? i know some ppl dont eat eggs (veges as well as vegans)

I eat eggs.. I have 15 chooks at home and they are happy free range beautiful chooks and they each lay an egg a day. i only have 2 roosters and most eggs arent fertile.. so to waste them would be dangerous for the chickens should they break.
Well, considering that you know exactly where your eggs are coming from and that they are not being mistreated, I don't see anything wrong with eating those eggs. However, the treatment of the battery hens in factory farms is absolutely appalling, so I choose not to eat eggs because they probably came from a factory farm.

Wildjem

Cavy Slave
I don't eat anything with a face. Except potatoes, which it has been pointed out to me, do have eyes. And I will eat food that people have drawn faces on just to annoy me.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
-laughs- Someone pointed out that potatoes have faces? Some people go a little too far to annoy vegetarians :p I love potatoes. THey're yummy. I'm also currently attempting to grow some.

laura220

Cavy Slave
I didn't eat eggs but I had to start up with them again because I wasn't getting enough protein. I have trouble swallowing pills so I couldn't take the protein and calcium ones.

I love potatoes! I grew some, they were tiny!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I hate eating fish. Not only because it tastes horrible, but because I know that what I would be eating is what swims round you in the sea, or what's in your tank. It would be like picking a fish up in the sea and eating it, which, needless to say, would be disgusting.

I don't really eat eggs, and I very rarely have milk or butter (I hate the taste of it). I've gone off meat - I refuse to eat any meat at all, including chicken. My parents keep putting it on my plate, and I keep leaving it. They'll get the message one of these days, even though I've already told them I've gone veggie.

mommyX2
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I am a vegatarian and I don't eat anything dead. No offense to people that do but it just bothers me to eat it! My whole family eats it but not me!

Piggy Pig Lover

Cavy Slave
Tatalp said:
-laughs- Someone pointed out that potatoes have faces? Some people go a little too far to annoy vegetarians :p I love potatoes. THey're yummy. I'm also currently attempting to grow some.

Yeah! People pointed out to me that I was killing "innocent veggies",but I replied "at least they don't scream when I go to eat em"

I kinda laid off the veggie stuff because I lost most of my veggie food in a flood and I lost my motivation. I am going to convert back to being a veggie.

-mncavylover- Bocca brands are soy protein and have a considerable amount of protein in them and have burgers, sausages, and pizzas. It's really cool and get's you past the texture cravings.

Last edited:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have not eaten fish since I have become veg.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
On Fridays in Lent and Good Friday, you're not supposed to eat meat but you are allowed to eat fish! I always thought that vegetarians could eat fish (but not vegans) because of that, but this proved me wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.