Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plants

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
It's nice and warm today so I wanted to put the piggies out but when I was setting up the run I noticed some kind of weed. I don't know what it is but I think it could be Hairy Bittercress. Here are some bad pictures! I haven't got a digital camera any more so I had to make do with my webcam.

It has little white buds which you can't see that are begining to open. If it is hairy bittercress is it safe for them to eat?

Thanks! x

C&K

Cavy Slave
I would not know, I have never heard of it or seen it before, must not be up here in Canada.

However, I would highly suggest redoing the grass where you are going to put the pigs. Probably from seed would be best, as I am sure that pesticides are used heavily in the sod producing business. the amount of seed needed to reseed an area for an outdoor run could not be much, and this time of year, it should grow and establish itself quickly.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
My rabbits live outside and they get the run of the garden everyday so I am unable to regrow the grass as the rabbits eat it as fast as it grows! I've been pulling all of that stuff up anyway just incase. I have four different groups of guinea pigs so I need room to do four runs.. My garden is titch so I would probably have to do the entire lawn.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Hmmm... Sounds like a small property then. Too bad. I am in the same boat. My front door is 11 steps to the sidewalk, which is right along the side of the street, no green belt. I don't even own my front porch, it encroaches on city land! My backyard is perhaps, 15 feet deep? And paved over in Concrete!

Pathetic.

I had no idea you had so many little critters! May help to overseed the lawn to make it nice and thick, that can help keep weeds out.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Our front garden is paved over in concrete, it's not a pretty sight! I hand picked all the weeds and then let the piggies out for a hour. They never stopped eating from the moment I put them out to the moment I put them back! I only have 8 piggies but most of them don't get along so thats why I have four groups of 2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.