Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Plantains

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have information if Plantains are OK to add to my cavy's diet? Although similar to a banana, they are almost considered a veggie from some of the sites I have visited. High in Vit C, but maybe too high in sugar and I wonder if like a banana they can be constipating?
Per the USDA data base: 100g= 3mg Ca, 34 mg Phos, 18.4 mg C, 56mcg RAE Vitamin A, 15mg Sugars Total (I don't understand how to do the Ca/Phos calculations.) It seems they are closer to a potato, so I wonder if they are too starchy?

I would suggest you contact the vet at Oxbow, he is great with advice on food or other things. They have a Contact The Vet on their website home page I think. Might be worth a try. :)

I would send a PM to Ly&Pigs. She knows all about the different ratios, etc.

It has too high of a calcium to phosphorus ratio (also an inverted ratio as it would be 1:11.3) and is too high in sugar to be fed very often. Maybe a very tiny piece once a month but honestly, I'd avoid it.

Domino, I personally don't put too much faith into any vets where diet is concerned. A lot of the treats Oxbow sells aren't suitable for pigs and of course any vet working for Oxbow would likely say it's ok to feed them when it's not. Vets don't study animal diets in depth.

Thanks for the information :)

I buy small bags of dried plantain from the ( none animal ) selling pet food store where i buy all my rabbit and guinea pig supplys from. As a treat, I fold some dried plantain into the middle of a handfull of readigrass and stuff it into an empty toilet paper tube and I give it to my guineas and rabbits to play with. They absolutely love it.:love:

I buy small bags of dried plantain from the ( none animal ) selling pet food store where i buy all my rabbit and guinea pig supplys from. As a treat, I fold some dried plantain into the middle of a handfull of readigrass and stuff it into an empty toilet paper tube and I give it to my guineas and rabbits to play with. They absolutely love it.:love:
Not a good idea. Dried veggies/fruits pack even more sugars because the sugars concentrate while drying. Also dried veggies pose a high risk for choking. All foods (veggies/fruits) should always be fed fresh. Meaning no dried, canned, frozen or cooked foods should ever be fed.

Not a good idea. Dried veggies/fruits pack even more sugars because the sugars concentrate while drying. Also dried veggies pose a high risk for choking. All foods (veggies/fruits) should always be fed fresh. Meaning no dried, canned, frozen or cooked foods should ever be fed.

Oh right !!!!:)
Thats odd, because i know lots of experienced guinea pig owners that feed their guineapigs dried plantain as "a treat".
(broken link removed)
this is somthing similar that I buy for my guineas and rabbits.
I have been feeding it to them as a treat for a while now and they are perfectly healthy. And I certainly wouldn`t dream of feeding my guineas pigs canned, frozen or cooked foods. :)

I don't know what "experienced pig owners" you are referring to but have they studied guinea pig nutrition for years like I have?

There are a great many things marketed for pigs that are totally unsuitable for them ranging from treats to cages.

You are free to take my advice or not but please do not advise others to feed dried fruits of any type. Thanks.

You seem to be referring to the herb plantain, which is the not the same as the plantain fruit the original poster is referring to. Here in much of the US, a plantain is a type of banana:

Plantain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what "experienced pig owners" you are referring to but have they studied guinea pig nutrition for years like I have?

There are a great many things marketed for pigs that are totally unsuitable for them ranging from treats to cages.

You are free to take my advice or not but please do not advise others to feed dried fruits of any type. Thanks.

I did not advise the OP to feed her guinea pig dried fruits at all. I was simply stating, that i gave dried plantain to my pigs as a treat and I also mentioned how I "offered" it to my guineas (folded into some readigrass and stuffed into an empty toilet roll tube).
No advice in my post my love.:D

Even herbs should be fed fresh, not dried.

Mandamoo, I am aware that you were stating but others often take statements as advice or think it's ok to do because someone else does it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.