Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Paralysis

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I left for work this morning, and all was well in the cages, when I came home from work today, to find one of my girls, unable to move her legs.

I quickly scooped her up and offered her some water from a dish, which she drank, and also a baby carrot, which she ate. Immediately called our local Vet, and rushed her in within 45 minutes.

They said it may be a calcium deficiency, as I explained my veggie feeding.

So, he sent me home with her to keep an eye on her. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it may be, and what else to do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's possible it could be a calcium deficiency but there are other disorders that cause paralysis of the hind legs as well such as scurvy (Vit. C deficiency). Go to guinealynx and do some reading and maybe post this on their forums.

My suggestion would be to add some extra C to the diet and you could try some higher calcium veggies for a few days to see if that helps.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Did you take the pig to a knowledgeable exotics vet who is specifically trained to treat guinea pigs? I don't think calcium deficiency is all that common in a guinea pig. Plus that usually leads to easily broken bones and heart disorders not paralysis. Vit c deficiency is possible and will commonly cause hind leg paralysis. What veggies do you feed?

The first thing that usually comes to mind when I hear about hind leg paralysis being the only symptom is swelling around the spinal cord. This will cause the paralysis but the animal usually shows minimal pain and continues to function normally with a normal appetite. I've seen it happen a few times with gerbils. The most common cause is a fall, such as jumping off a house or 2nd story, and landing wrong so the spine twists or in some cases actually impacts the ground before the rest of the body. The swelling usually goes away eventually and the animal regains full use of it's legs but it could take months without any treatment.

With the current information you've given I would increase vit c intake by at least 10mg and get a 2nd opinion by another vet. Preferably with at least an xray to help determine if it could be caused by injury. If it is injury anti inflammatories would speed up healing by alot and possibly prevent permanent damage that would lead to future health issues.

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
The vet did give her an inter-muscular injection of calcium and vit. c.

So far she has shown no signs of change. She has eaten a slice of green pepper, and drank some more water.

I have an apointment to take her back in tomorrow.

*sigh* Thanks Guys.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I would request x-rays, the x-rays may show whats going on. Please keep us updated on her condition.

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I took her back to the Vet this afternoon. They did some x-rays, and didnt see anything abnormal, he is leaning twoards some sort of maybe a stroke?

She is eating great, and drinking well. She tries to move around, and is fiesty in all aspects, but she just can't seem to move her limbs. Her shoulder and hip joints will move, but the rest of the legs are like jelly.

He gave her another shot of Calcium and Vit C, and said to just watch her, and hope she progresses.

So, as of tonight, she isnt able to move her legs, but she is content. I bought her a little pillow, and shes laying in a coozie, getting hand fed. Hopefully something will change soon, until then it seems to be a waiting game.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.